Port Charges

Jun 6th, 2003, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Port Charges

When booking a cruise to Bermuda I notice some port charges and gov. taxes are extra. Is it better to book a cruise with these included? Is there any way of knowing what these charges should be?
Jun 8th, 2003, 04:40 PM

For a 7 day cruise they are about $165 per person. It doesn't matter if you book through someone who includes port charges when quoting a price just make sure when comparing prices to ask if port charges are included.
Jun 9th, 2003, 05:12 AM

I have to disagree with dmb123. I does matter if travel agents DO include in there advertised price the port/tax charges. This is a real problem in the industry. Some agents include it (port and tax) in their advertised price such as "7 day cruise $999.00, port charges and taxs included". Others will list the same cruise this way; "7 day cruise $899.00". The first time cruiser who does not know any better thinks the second cruise is a better deal and later learns that with port charges and tax the $899 cruise is actually $1,100.
While all reputable agents will "eventually" tell you the full cost, they should all give you the price in the same format, either with or without these additional charges included UP FRONT.

One big internet seller of cruises (I wont name them) says they DO include these charges but advertise only the cruise itself and you must go thru numerous steps, including registering with them to get the final total price. I DO agree with dmb123s statement that you should make sure to "ask if port charges" are included.
Jun 9th, 2003, 04:14 PM

You must ask if BOTH port and taxes are included. I have seen advertisments that say port included. You guessed it, taxes are not included and are extra.
Another charge to check on is the so called "processing fee", "mailing charge", or some similar name. Some add about $25 PP for this.
Then there might be a cancellation fee if you cancel, even before final payment. If they are charging for this it may be around $25or so.

Rdalyville,
Always get a quote with the port and tax charges broken out so there is no confusion. They will be the same for each quote. You can go to a .com site and look them up. Buycruises has them broken out but you have to pretend you want to book, eventually the screen will show you what the port and tax are. On this site the insurance is also clicked on. You can click it off on the insurance line item.
Jun 11th, 2003, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Our Port & Govt charges on a 7 day cruise to Bermuda are $274.50. Seems a little high but we have already booked.
Jun 12th, 2003, 09:48 AM

Don't worry that the port charges seemed high. While the cruise rate may vary (based on your agent's relationship with the line, how aggressive they are in pricing and when you book), the port charges & taxes stay the same for everybody.

In theory, they're based on what the ports charge the ships per passenger, though I think I read that RCCL is getting sued for inflating their port charges as we speak.

I agree that all agents should always include the port charges & taxes in the quote upfront to make it easier to comparison shop, but the agent's who don't have the best prices don't want you to compare!