Guide to calculate tax/port fees

Nov 1st, 2005, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Guide to calculate tax/port fees

Although I have cruised before, I don't fully understand the math regarding the "extra" fees. How do you find a guide or a way to estimate the extra taxes and port fees which are not listed as part of the cruise cost?
Nov 1st, 2005, 11:42 AM

This has always been a sore point with me. YOU should NOT have to do such calculations, they should appear fully detailed in any advertisment or quote from a travel agency.

For years travel agencies have used this little trick to sell cruises that look like a bargain.

They list the cost of the cruise and do not include port charges and taxes. Un-knowing people purchase these cruises and only then find out that these extra charge (which can be a lot) were not included in the advertisment.

Almost all reputable travel agencies now list their prices as "including Port charges and Taxes".

There really is no way for you to calculate these fees on your own, because it depends on how many ports you visit, what each port charges the cruise line, etc. Again, that's why all ads should clearly include these charges in their up-front advertsing.

I for one will not even look at sites that don't list these charges in the original advertised price.

Be careful too as some will list only the cruise price in the original ad and then reveal the Port and Tax fees only after you've gone thru several more steps like; making you log on, register with them, etc.

Hope this helps....you're asking an excellent question.
Nov 1st, 2005, 02:14 PM

Even the cruise lines don't like this practice. Carnival, for example, requires that all port charges and taxes be listed in any ads for their sailings. CruiseCompete.com also makes all of it's member-agencies list the full price in each quote.
Nov 1st, 2005, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

But Carnival doesn't always follow their own policy of full disclosure. This is what is so frustrating to me. Below is part of an email I received today from them. There is no add'l information on costs included:

Cruise from $249 * ! Discover the Western Caribbean Aboard the “Fun Ship” IMAGINATION on a 4 day cruise Sailing on December 15, 2005 at an unbeatable value! Visit the exciting ports of: Key West, Cozumel

* Rates are quoted in U.S. dollars, cat. 1A, cruise only, per person, based on double occupancy. Government fees/taxes are additional for all guests. Prices subject to change without notice. Offer is capacity controlled, subject to availability, and not combinable with any other discount or promotional offers. Some restrictions (including stateroom availability) apply. Rates vary by sail date. Ships' Registry: Panama and The Bahamas.