Poisonous snakes a problem in Caribbean?

Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poisonous snakes a problem in Caribbean?

Ok so I'm a worry-wort. But nobody seems to talk about poisonous critters on the islands or in the rain forest. There must be some. In the movies they hang from trees etc. Are we ok on the riverboat rides and hikes in the Eco park near Belize? What about in Cozumel? Just wondering. This is our first time in those places and I just want to be preparred. Thanks
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:39 AM

You're not a worry wort. The movies are the movies and they want to scare you.

Tour operators know that they would not be in business very long if they exposed you to danger. You'll be fine, enjoy your cruise and your shore tours. I've been on dozens in areas like this without even a close encounter.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 02:23 PM

If everything I learned about aviation came from movies, I wouldn't have spent the last 40 years flying.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 03:22 PM

Something else to worry about - go see movie Snakes on a Plane (actually one of the dumbest movies I have seen in a while)
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 09:27 AM

I have to agree with the rest.. We have been to many islands and done many tours - Rain forests of Puerto Rico, Monkey watching in Honduras, River wild life cruise in Belize and have never seen any critters which we felt threatened by.. Have fun on your trip!
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 08:30 PM

Never have seen a snake on any of the islands in the Caribbean and stayed in Belize a week and went up the river to the ruins and the most unusual critter we saw in the trees were these tiny bats about the size of a moth- did not see any snakes there either. I do remember a couple that stayed in the jungle that said that they encounterd snakes sunning themselves along the path when they were out horseback riding in the rainforest. Most of the snakes in tourist areas are wearing clothes. Don't worry and have a great time - Belize is great - check out the barrier reef if you get a chance - it is awesome - best snorkeling ever - really got spoiled there.
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 12:26 AM

Just to clarify, there really aren't any poisenous snakes on most Carribean islands, but they do exist in Central America (Belize, Costa Rica, Panama, Guatemala, etc.). Not that you should be overly paranoid, but they are very real and something to keep an eye out for.
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 08:05 AM

There is on St Lucia
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 11:35 AM

Really, what kind? I know there are non-posinous snakes on most of the islands, but I wasn't aware of posinous ones on St. Lucia.
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 12:19 PM

St. Lucia's beaches are beautiful, but they can lead to problems resulting from overexposure to the elements. Take these few extra steps when enjoying the shores:

Take care to limit time in the sun and protect your skin from damage by wearing sunscreen, sunglasses, hats, and protective covering.

Remember to drink a lot of water and to stay hydrated because the combination of overexposure to the sun and dehydration can bring on heat stroke or exhaustion very quickly.

One of the most dangerous threats on St. Lucia is from the lancehead, or fer-de-lance, the most poisonous snake found in Central and South America. These reptiles thrive along the coastline of the island. Take precaution by wearing sturdy leather boots when hiking and avoid stream edges and ditches.

The above is from St Lucia visitor site
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 12:21 PM

Here is another that might be worth watching ON Natl Geographic Channel

Fer de Lance - A Killer Cure [TV-PG]
Saturday, February 24, 2007, at 10:30A

Jim Harrison travels to St. Lucia in search of one of the most feared snakes in the Americas - the fer-de-lance or lancehead viper. He believes its venom has properties that could help stroke or heart disease victims. With heart disease running in his family - he may help save his own life one day. Join us on Jim's quest for the Killer Cure.
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 12:22 PM

But I should also note that I have never seen one of these snakes in St Lucia but just be aware they are there
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 03:01 PM

Wow, I had no clue the Fer de Lance was on St. Lucia, although I've never been there either. I've traveled Central America quite a bit and know to watch for them there. Anyone know if they are on any other Carribean islands? I always do an internet search on poisenous snakes before visiting a destination, just so I know what's there and all the Carribean islands I've looked up just came back with boa constrictors and such.