Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

SIL groped during snuba dive on Royal Caribbean

Jul 2nd, 2008, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

My bro and his in-laws just came back from a family cruise to Mexico on Royal Caribbean. They booked an excursion thru RC to snuba dive. The dive master divided them up into groups, purposely putting his 20-yr-old SIL in a group of young girls. Once they submerged underwater, the divemaster proceeded to grope and run his hands all over the 20-yr-old the entire dive---he did not let her go. She tried to swim away and he would grab her leg and pull her back!

Reports were filed both with the Mexican snuba company and with RC---without much weight. RC refuses to follow-up with the family on any "progress" made with investigating this matter; it is up to the family to "call back." RC refuses to give a case number, a direct telephone number, or a contact person.

The dive master reportedly said that there was a "strong current" so he was holding her from floating away. There was NO current according to all other divers!!! He also said she couldn't clear her ears so he was helping her-??? There were 2 other divers who remained at the surface because they could not clear, but he did not assist them the entire dive!

Beware!! Watch the women in your family---it is the perfect set up! YOu can't scream, you can't swim away, and all other divers think you're being "assisted" through their limited face masked vision.

And expect no recourse from Royal Caribbean!
Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:08 AM

It always worries me with EVERY cruise line, in the small print they note, they are not responsible for land tours, they only sell the tours provided by other companies. I am surprised there are so few complaints!

Sorry Oet it happened to your relative!
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:09 PM

This is the posters very first post here. Could this have happened? Sure, anythings possible but how do we know this is true? It could also be an attempt to smear RCI as well. Sorry I don't mean to be skeptical and if this really happened I am sorry but I can't imagine RCI just refusing to follow up on such predatrory behavior. That doesn't add up. JM2C.
Jul 2nd, 2008, 02:22 PM

I am inclined to believe. If you check the website, in the "download brochure" area there is a disclaimer:

Responsibility
Shore Excursions are offered for sale by Royal Caribbean International as a convenience to our guests. While great care has been taken to offer the finest excursions available at each port, these tour services are provided by independent tour operators, and Royal Caribbean International will not be responsible or liable for any loss, damage, injury, costs or delays resulting from, or in connection with, your use of
these services.

The poster is probably posting this on every website she can register. I would probably do the same if I'd run into a really serious problem.
Jul 3rd, 2008, 02:27 AM

I didn't see it on the RCI board on Cruise critic.
Jul 3rd, 2008, 09:49 AM

I've seen this post on the Frommer's forum. Perhaps the poster doesn't know that the Cruise Critic site exists.

I'm inclined to believe the OP also - I've done snuba a couple of times before I became a certified diver. I can see how the events happened as described.

Wasn't there a period of time a year or so ago that there were several articles on crime on cruiseships, and how it's really difficult to have any action taken?
Jul 7th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Jacketwatch, I can understand your skepticism. But I'm telling the truth!

It is my first time posting; I'm mostly a lurker and I use another travel forum. But I put this out there (and on my other travel forum) because I want others to be AWARE!

DIdn't know there was a RC forum; thanks for the tip.

Btw, I am a certified scuba diver too and I can easily see how this could happen.
Jul 7th, 2008, 01:39 PM

The RC forum can be found under "Boards" at: www.cruisecritic.com. I do believe it happened but am still having a hard time understanding why RCI would do a "Pontius Pilate" so to speak. Best of luck and a proper resolution. Larry
Jul 8th, 2008, 05:25 AM

BTW what is the name of the tour company?