Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

People Who Have Cruised Both HAL and Carnoval

Apr 3rd, 2005, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

My past cruises have been mostly on HAL, but I have been thinking of doing a cruise on Carnival (the Glory). Is there a really big drop in quality between the two cruiselines? Will I be satisfied with Carnival?
Apr 3rd, 2005, 11:02 AM

I have sailed on the Ryndam and the Glory.Enjoyed both ships.
Apr 3rd, 2005, 02:38 PM

We have 80 days on HAL and only 21 on Carnival (past 10 yrs) We had a bad experience on Carn. and gave up on them in the 90's.

Love Hal but the Glory was going where we wanted to go and a great price for a balcony and off season w/o kids, others not ours, enticed us back. What a good time !!

Food, ambiance, staff, specialty restaurant, etc., etc, was great. Hal had more understated decor, less people on board (still was not crowded), hot hors d' and higher prices.

Choose times when people are in school, if you want a more adult time, but we were happy to try Carn. again.

In fact, just booked the Legend today for Nov. 9 for $875pp balcony and Hal Volendam was $975pp inside, 10 days.

Have fun either one.
Apr 4th, 2005, 08:17 AM

IME there is no comparison as the lines are very different and attract a totally different range of passengers.

I have each line twice. I felt HAL attracted quite a senior crowd and their food and entertainment offerings reflected that. The ships were both elegant and the serivce very good. The pax mix was well dressed, fairly conservative and also low key.

In contract, CCL felt like Vegas. The ships were bold and garish, service impersonal, food of the TGIF variety and quality. The passengers were more of a casual, party crowd. The ships were quite smoky and always felt crowded.

Just my HO, but I did not care for either.
Apr 4th, 2005, 12:04 PM

Don: My guess is that since you are asking, you probably have expectations that are higher than will be met by Carnival.
I've sailed Carnival many times and compare them to the "Basic Ford" or "WalMart" of the cruise lines. You get a good product, nothing fancy, and at a good price. If you're OK with that then give Carnival a try. If you expect the same as HAL, then as posted by others, it is just too different to make a comparison.

Hope you have a great cruise whichever line you choose.
Apr 4th, 2005, 04:33 PM

We preferred Carnival. All this talk about equating them to a low end line or a "blue collar" line is rubbish IMHO. Such lines don't serve filet mignon, Beef Wellington, lobster, etc. We cerainly did NOT get this type of food on RCCL and the service was on a par as well. I would give RCCL the edge in entertainment by a sig. margin however. JM2C.
Apr 5th, 2005, 11:44 AM

Carnival offers a low cost cruise and delivers an appropriate product for the cost. Their passenger mix is mainly blue collar folks with a casual attitude.

And as for food, there are many quality levels for a filet mignon, and many other dishes. CCL's food compares to TGI Fridays and I do not eat there at home.

I think the analogy to Walmart is absolutely correct. And we all now successful Walmart is.

To each his own.
Apr 5th, 2005, 12:29 PM

To the previous poster: Your analogy is way off. First of all we have met white collar professionals there as well including MD's, engineers, etc. We are in that category in fact. Your statement reflects stereotypical images that by their nature are alienated from facts. Out entrees were well prepared and included in addition to the above Chateaubriand, New Zealand lamb, etc. There was at least one prime selection available every night. The appetizers and desserts were on a similar par. In FACT as I found out later the chef was featured on a Travel Channel episode and has won awards for his craft. I too eat at TGIF and other such places as well as top restaurants in Chicago such as Roys, the 95th., Charlie Trotters, etc. Lets get the facts straight here sir. Carnival fare is NOT in any way close to the former and is much closer to the latter. In fact Carnival spends more per passenger for food than RCCL and many other cruise operators. Dislike Carnival all you want but don't debase it or its clientele. To each their own indeed.
Apr 5th, 2005, 02:54 PM

Before site registering there was a very active cruiseboard and the biggest debate was always about Carnival.

Anyone remember Paul defending Carn. and Peter (now PumpkinEater) fighting him ? Paul was right, he said that Crn. was not as bad as everyone thinks. IMHO, in our 'recent' cruises - Princess was worst. HAL and Carn. good.

My main problem with Carn. is times of a large amt. of kids. Carn. should do more to corral them but it is the parents that are the culprits overall. We will not cruise at Spring Break and/or summer.

Have fun on any ship.
Apr 5th, 2005, 03:55 PM

Hi Maryann: Whats up with Princess that you dislike? We are cruising Alaska with them this summer on the Sapphire princess. Thanks, Larry.
Apr 6th, 2005, 10:35 AM

Jacketwatch: Just because it is your opinion does not make it a "fact". It's great that you enjoy Carnival's cuisine; I did not.

I ordered caviar at $35.oo an ounce and was serve the jar, along with a basket of Captain's wafers. This is not, IMHO, fine dining or anything even close.

The OP asked for OPINIONS on whether he would be disappointed in CCL after sailing with Celebrity. After four Celebrity cruises and two on CCL, my answer is a resounding "Yes"!!
Apr 6th, 2005, 10:59 AM

Dear sir: I stated facts and based an opinion on facts, not as you have done and implied of me. Get it? Caviar is one item. I stated many items and indeed this is FACT. Base your views on facts and not conjecture. Indeed your type casting and stereotypical rhetoric is offensive. You are entitled to it however. And stop eating pumpkins.
Apr 6th, 2005, 11:15 AM

BTW all this started after you overreacted to my OPINION as stated. I am entitled to my opinion as well as you and stated it as such. If you want me to be tolerant of you then show some restraint and tolerance yourself. Your is not the only opinion. Lets leave it at that.
Apr 6th, 2005, 11:26 AM

One more thing sir: The OP asked about CCL compared to HAL and not Celebrity. Maybe this is the source of your confusion.
Apr 11th, 2005, 05:12 PM

People, you must remember one rule that is almost always true. You get what you pay for. The analogy of Carnival to Walmart is fairly accurate. Walmart does sell brand names just like Carnival does serve filet mignon. I have been on 2 Carnival cruises with 1 Princess cruise sandwiched in between them. The 2 Carnival cruises were a blast, but for my taste, Princess had them beat. HAL has a great reputation and I'm sure it is well deserved. If you go on a Carnival cruise with an open mind and realistic expectations, you will have a good time. Just don't expect to pay a Carnival price and receive HAL service.
Apr 11th, 2005, 05:46 PM

NYGiants27: Interesting name. Is it for a player for that team who wore #27?
Apr 12th, 2005, 04:13 AM

Not really. It's just my number that I wore whenever I played. But I must say, I was a huge fan of Rodney Hampton, not Ron Dayne LOL
Apr 12th, 2005, 05:40 AM

That who I thought it was, Hampton that is. The way Dayne has played one would think he's another one of those Penn rb State busts via Mich. Cheers, Larry .
Apr 12th, 2005, 10:19 AM

I have sailed on Carnival twice (Fantasy & Destiny), HAL once (Zuiderdam), and Celebrity once(Century). Carnival has a fun nightlife, good dinner food, so-so breakfast and lunch, vegas style entertainment and decor, over-crowded pool area with too many waiters pushing the drink of the day, good service, good rooms, lots of activities, and ok shore excursions. HAL had a dull nightlife, good and sometimes great dinner food, so-so breakfast and lunch, lots of room at the pool, ok and sometimes poor service, a shockingly small room, beautiful art and tasteful decor, and on more than one occasion changed the shore excursion or itinerary without telling us. Celebrity was great all around. Having said all that, we had a great time on all of our cruises because it's a cruise so how can you not. Celebrity is our favorite and we would go on Carnival again for the kids, but probably not by ourselves, and we would never go on HAL again. Hope this helps, no biases, just my honest opinion.
Apr 12th, 2005, 11:28 AM

Thank you roofgirl. This is what an unbiased opinion sounds like IMHO and its refreshing. Happy sailing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO