Search

Panama Canal on Princess

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Panama Canal on Princess

Hi,
Can you please give us suggestions on independent tour operators and / or the best shore excursions booked through Princess?

Also, to what level learner are the on board classes geared? (Digital photography, pottery, financial and computer classes...) Are they boring or worth taking the time to attend?

What is the 24 hour buffet like?

Is there nightly entertainment? If you have second seating dinner can you only attend the second show?

Thanks,
Kat & Krew
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 04:32 AM

Which ship are you on?
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Hi, Last Mango,
The Coral on a ten day.

Thanks,
Kat & Krew
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 05:44 AM

We were on the Coral from 12/14-24/05. It is a very nice ship.The food and service were excellent. We enjoy the formal traditional dinning and selected the late sitting. The buffet is open most of the time until 4:30 A. M. ! Most shows are repeated at 10:30pm which gives you ample time. There are also some smaller shows that you can go to at 7:00pm.prior to dinning. The cruise director is not too active, and I guess, his personality is reflected in the general entertaiment. Regarding classes, We did not try any, but I am sure you can talk to the instructor to get a feel for them, since they will offer you a free computer orientation class on the 1st or 2nd. day. As to touring, of course it will depend on you and your experiences. We booked 3 tours through Princess and were satisfied. I do not think there is much difference in prices. What type of tours do you like? Have you review the tour book Princess sent you? Keep in mind that some tours are very lenghty. If you are thinking about touring Panama, I definetly suggest that you book through Princess since you will depart on your tour from Gatun Lake and return to Cristobal. Princess will take care of this arrangement. Enjoy your cruise.
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 03:06 PM

Well, let me begin by saying I know Princess has its fans, but I am not one of them. It nickel and dimes you to death. The classes you talk about are free on many cruise lines, but not on Princess. It even charges you for ice cream except for meals. Also, be aware that the second seating can only attend the second entertainment most of the time, but the first seating can go to both and takes the best seats for both. The shore excursions are way, way, way overpriced. Do things on your own whenever possible. Holland-America is much better, but even it has declined somewhat. The only mass market line I find still maintains some quality is the Marco Polo, but it is an old ship if that matters to you. If you are stuck with Princess and it's your first cruise, maybe you'll be ok since you will have nothing to compare it with.
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 05:10 PM

We took the Coral Princess in Jan 2005 for a partial transit of the Panama Canal. We loved the cruise and the ship.

The only class we attended was a cooking demonstration that was lots of fun.

We did all our excursions through Princess and prebooked before we left home. We're doing a NCL cruise later this month and feel the excursions are better priced with NCL.

The buffet was good. Especially breakfast.

The average age of the passengers was likely in the 60's and the entertainment reflected that. We went to see a comedian one night and he was excellent. However, we were 40 minutes early for the show and all seats were taken by 20 minutes before the show.

We really enjoyed our trip so I hope you do too.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Ouch... the classes aren't free? It sounded like they were -- except for the pottery one and I can understand why it costs.
Stuck with second seating... First was filled when we signed up.
First cruise in a lot of years. We found people the last time who got better deals just walking off the ship and hiring a cab than we did with excursions on that particular cruise line (now out of business). On one, they had an air conditioned car and we had an open hay rack to tour St. Thomas. People in the middle of the row got great shots of the backs of other people's heads but not much in the way of scenery.
I found a web site specically on cruising last week and it has several recommendations for a few of the places.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 04:00 PM

Most of the classes were free on the Princess cruise we took. I don't know if I they would really be called classes. More like demonstrations or talks. I consider classes to be hands-on.

I know there were a charge from some classes. Definitely the computer courses had a fee.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 05:30 PM

hi kat and krew, if you are going through the canal you should look at www.pancanal.com a font of info on the history and operation of the canal. and scroll down to where it says webcams. you can watch the ships going through gatun and miraflores locks and they have a camera showing the bridge. it is really fun and very interesting to watch whats going to happen to your ship. your friends can watch you go through if you let them know what time. as i recall the most activity is pretty early in the am.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the information on classes and the webcam.
I'd been to the Princess webcam but I'll have to check out the Panama one.

Thanks again.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 04:20 PM

We took the Coral Princess on the 12/4 sailing as well, part way through the Panama Canal. We loved the size and ambiance of the Coral.

Having done many cruises, we have found it much better to get off ship and talk to the independent cabbies or tour operators to book a tour. We've done it both ways, with Princess and on our own, and MUCH prefer this. It's usually at least half the price; you don't have to queue up with a hundred other people; no lines for the bus, etc. We just hate that feeling of being "herded". Also, you are given personal attention by your driver because there are only 2-8 of you! Lots of time to take pictures and really get a feeling of the spot you are visiting.

We've done this in Dominica, Costa Rica, Barbados, Grenada, St. Lucia and maybe a few I've forgotten. We have never been disappointed and always feel quite smug about our choice! Negotiate the price up front and leave some reserve for tip.

The only place this won't work is at the Lake Gatun stop in the Panama Canal, as you are stopped in the middle of the lake.

Anyway, be brave and you won't regret it!. Have fun. Oh yes, the food on Princess is wonderful....