Best cruise for twenty-something couple

Feb 17th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Best cruise for twenty-something couple

I'm looking to book my first cruise with my boyfriend of one year May 14th approx. We love to gamble and relax. We're not into water sports per say, but love the beaches. I'd like an upscale cruise line that is nice, but not too stuffy. Any recommedations?
Feb 17th, 2005, 06:27 PM

RCCL voyager class ships. You can be anyware from very active to secluded with your sun tan oil. Best of the mass market cruise lines for the combination of food, service and entertainment.

Peter
Feb 18th, 2005, 07:04 AM

Where are you planning on cruising, and for how long? From your words upscale and relaxing I may point you more towards a mid size ship than pumpkineater has. I could be wrong, the voyager class is great and it may be what you are looking for if I had a little more info. (cruise style a bit more ACTIVE than relaxing) But, just from what you have said I am thinking Celebrity mid size ship. Perhaps even a step up from there depending on where you are traveling and your budget.
Feb 18th, 2005, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

My budget is very flexible from 1200 - 1600 per person. I've seen great discounts online for the top ships/liners in this price range. I tend to get stir crazy, but we're not into water sports. We might be tanning by day/possibly sight seeing and then we'd like options for nighttime entertainment. I hear princess is higher rated, but we're limited to travel in May.
Feb 18th, 2005, 09:26 AM

Check out Celebrity if you are looking for good food and service. It will have plenty traveling your age and will have some night life. The ship atmosphere is classy, but not overstated and not at all stuffy. Since it is a first cruise, I would probably go with Celebrity, or even Princess on a ship of less than 100,00 tons. The mega ships do have a more overwhelming feel and service can sometimes (not always, but in general) be of less quality. Royal caribbean vision class of ships would be another alternative for mid ship size. Holland America is nice only if you don't care much about night life and enjoy an older crowd. If you have any questions about itinerary, feel free to post. One last note, I don't mean to put down mega ships. I am actually traveling on the Mariner of the Seas in a month with my family (teens involved), but when you mentioned up-scale...it led me to my recommendation. I don't know that your budget, and the fact that you are first time cruisers will really lead me to recommend Seabourn or Radisson, but note that not a single upscale ship is huge.....
Feb 18th, 2005, 10:11 AM

I did not see many 20 somethings on any of my 4 Celebrity cruises, and I find their nightlife quie limited, although I rank their food and service high.

I would stay away from Voyager class if you are looking for an upscale experience. Radiance Class on RCI would be my choice.