Panama Canal cruises

Aug 11th, 2004, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Panama Canal cruises

We are looking to go in the summer mos. of 2005. So far what I have seen shows only spring emarkations. Is this a summer time destination? Any recs. for a cruise line? Thanks, Larry
Aug 12th, 2004, 05:13 AM

We sailed two weeks over Thanksgiving with RCCL. Loved it BUT two weeks and over a holiday - be prepared for a much older crowd. They played 40's music by the pool! Try Celebrity, most of their ships are great. We're doing Brilliance of The Seas (RCCL) in Nov. and Jewel of the Seas in JAN> Stick with the newer ships.
Aug 12th, 2004, 06:41 AM

I'm going to guess that it is a climate and supply/demand issue because, yes Panama Canal cruises tend to be in the spring - cruiselines often use those same ships for Alaska all summer - and who cruises to Alaska in the winter?

I'm a big Princess fan and took the Coral Princess r.t. Fort Lauderdale for a partial Canal transit in April (10 days).

I can advise you that you will find tons of info at www.cruisecritic.com .
Aug 12th, 2004, 07:37 AM

We were looking for the same thing you are looking for in the summer through the Panama Canal. What we have booked from Ensenada, Mexico is the Infinity(Celebrity) April 17-May 1 arriving back in Fort Lauderdale. I also found a Princess cruise that leaves Fort Lauderdale May 1 to San Francisco for 15 days. Not sure if you wanted one for the trip all the way through the canal or a partial one. Partial ones out of Galveston. I have taken a cruise on the Century Celebrity in June and was very pleased, although the Century is an older ship than the Infinity. I think the Infinity will be a great cruise through the canal.
I could not find anything in the summer month. As mentioned above I think the ships do the Alaska cruises.
Aug 12th, 2004, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks folks. I did go to cruise critic and it seems Panama Canal cruises are over in the spring. Better luck next time I guess.
Sep 13th, 2005, 06:12 PM

Hi All,

We're actually taking a cruise through the Panama Canal in October 2005; the cruise leaves from CA and ends in FL.

Kim

Kim
Sep 15th, 2005, 07:02 AM

This inquiry is for "bjoothman". If you could possibly advise me. We are booked for the same cruise in Dec. 05 on the Coral Princess. Tours? Which should we buy? How about the ones in the Canal? Is it enough just to see the Gatun Lake area or buy a tour and go through the other locks? Please let me know. Thanks a lot in advance.