Panama Canal Cruise

Search

Panama Canal Cruise

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Panama Canal Cruise

I am considering a Panama Canal Cruise (Ft. Laud to LA) on the Island Princess in April, 2009. Has anyone had any experience on this cruise/ship?
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 10:00 AM

I haven't been on the Island Princess (new one that is). Are you asking about the cruise itself? We actually did our first Panama canal cruise on the old Island Princess in 1976. We have done it several times since then and is a wonderful experience. We have also done several cruises on Princess so I am sure the Island is as lovely as the others. We did South America and Antarctica on Princess as well and enjoyed Princess. My favourite is Holland
America but really its just a matter of personal preference. I am sure you will love it but if you have any specific questions just ask.
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 03:05 PM

A tangent question:

We are doing a Princess Cruise TO the Panama Canal in mid-April, not going all the way through, just to the lake, turn around and return to FL.

One of the optional excursions is a day-trip all the way through the canal to the Pacific with a return bus/train (I forget which) to the ship. In my eyes it is quite expensive. That is not to say that I can't afford to do it.

My question is to those who have done this excursion and to those who have cruised all the way through the canal. How much will I be missing if I choose NOT to take that excursion? Are there significant things in the remainder of the canal that I will miss if I don't take that trip.
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 10:05 AM

I have done a partial and a full transit. I enjoyed the half of the Canal at the Pacific side.

There is more civilization on either side of the Canal. Just more interesting to see how they live.
and the PanAmerican Hwy. bridge, etc.

I haven't taken the tour-we stay on the ship the whole time. I have read that it is pretty hot and a long day.

Whatever you choose get up in the dark, get on deck and see the sunrise with all the ships from around the world coming to that spot. We are going again (on the Island LA to FLL) for the 3rd time and I'll get up early everytime.

Enjoy !
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 01:00 PM

My husband and I have done a partial and full transit PC. I would suggest the full transit. We went from San Juan to San Francisco on the Serenade of the Seas. Partial was on the Coral Princess out of FL. If you do the partial I would not recommend the all day tour to the Pacific side. The people we talked to said that it was hot, crowded, expensive and most of the time on a bus. Two pleasures on the full is sailing under the Bridge of the Americas and the Golden Gate. They were both awesome and you were still on the ship. Both cruise lines are great.