packing for 30 day cruise

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are taking a long cruise in southern Europe/Mediterranean in April. What's the minimum baggage we can get away with? The cruise has 6 formal nights! Ugh. I suppose the weather will be in the 60-70 range. We have 14 or 15 stops and an eight day Atlantic crossing.
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 03:12 AM

You do not need six different outfits for 6 formal nights! A tux is a tux is a tux! How many different tuxes can a man wear? Maybe a different color cumberbund? He will wear the same thing each formal night. You can almost do the same. If you have dark slacks you can bring 2 or 3 different tops to wear on each night. How many people are going to realize you wore that same gown even a week ago?
For day time wear think about it. How often do you remember what your tablemate wore even yesterday? You do not need 30 different outfits. Mix & match day time wear.
They say to lay out everythng you want to take then take 1/2 of it away!
I hope your ship has a laundry for passengers. Then you can easily do your own laundry
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 05:13 AM

When travelling I always where as many things as possible like a jacket/blazer and a cardigan/sweater with a cotton shirt underneath. April is not a month of high temperatures and you need to be comfortable for any excursions. I take things that mix and match, light jersey trousers with many lightweight tops and a pashmina/shawl. Choose your shoes carefully. Wash underwear in your cabin by taking travel soap. Wring out the excess water with a clean towel. Stick to one colour way although no one takes much notice really.
Have fun!
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 04:10 PM

We have done 2 35 days cruises and take clothes for 8 days and then do laundry (or have the ship do it). It is worth adding the cost to your travel budget IMHO. One cruise was on Princess 10 years ago with it's formal nights, I brought 1 dressy pants and 3 interchangeable easily packable tops and that was my "formal" wear. My husband rented a tux from Princess. On a shorter cruise soon after that with formal nights, DH only did slacks and sports jacket and he wasn't the only one.
I think you will find today on HAL and other cruise lines with formal nights, that people just aren't dressing like they used to - I haven't seen a gown for years. Now we only travel on cruise lines like Oceania who don't have formal night and it is wonderful!! No one remembers what someone else wears anyway as stated above. Go with whatever is easiest and keep your luggage to a minimum.
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 09:04 AM

For us a 30 day cruise is no different than a 10 day. We go with three carryon size bags.
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 04:27 PM

We've been on many cruises and I've always been one to over pack as I don't like to do laundry while we're on vacation. My husband has told me if we can afford to go on a cruise, we can afford to send out our laundry. So true. We're like charli, and go on Oceania cruises with no formal nights. I take several pair of black slacks and mix and match the tops or jackets. No one knows you or is going to remember what you wore.
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 04:04 PM

I don't have any useful advice to contribute, just want to say that I'm jealous of your good fortune! I hope you have a fantastic time.
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 11:39 AM

Take only enough for 3 days and send everything to the laundry and cleaners.