Family Cruise w/Teens & Grandparents

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We would like to get some recommendations for a week-long mid-December cruise for extended family of 8 or 9 people - oldest 70, youngest 14. Priorities would be warm weather, great entertainment and food and fun things for the teen/young adult generation. We are very casual but might be able to muster up one "formal" night. Our preference would be to disembark from San Diego or Los Angeles, CA.

If you have cruise line, cruise ship, destination and specific port tour recommendations, we appreciate your ideas.

p.s. Are the port recommendations "SAFE" for travelers or does one need to take special precautions when touring those ports?
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 10:34 AM

We are set to take our third family cruise. Two of them were at Christmas, just happened to fit with the boys' school vacation. First we took a Holland America from San Diego for the Mexican Riviera, I believe 9/10 days, great! Two years later we took Celebrity from LA to Hawaii and back, 15 days, liked it alot, sea days relaxing, fun. This next one is 14 day Seattle/Alaska on Holland America again. We all really seemed to have a good time...they took golf lessons, did trivial pursuits, watched movies, we played games together, etc. As long as we can afford to do this, we will continue, though, in this economy it is getting tougher. The first trip, when the boys were about 15/9, they did meet up with some kids on alot of the days, second cruise, seemed to stick with us a bit more.
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 03:58 PM

If you're limiting your disembarkation ports to L.A. or San Diego I suspect for a 1 week cruise you're going to be pretty much limited to Mexico for a "warm weather" destination. I've never had an issue with safety in those ports.

As for casual - NCL doesn't require any formal nights. I did take my niece with me on an NCL cruise and she enjoyed it because they had a specific Teen newsletter they put out and activities just for tht group. A lot of activities for both adults and teens.

Have you done any looking yourself yet at the various cruise lines mentioned in your tag line? Holland America, mentioned by desertduds, is going to be higher priced than NCL or Carnival as is Celebrity.

I think cruises are great trips for a group such as yours. People can go off on the ship and do what they want and still meet back for dinner or other activities.
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 03:35 PM

From San Diego or Long Beach, Pricness cruise to the Mexican Riveria would be one way to go for 1 week to warmer climates. The 70 plus can find their relaxation in peace and quiet while the teens will find their beaches, games and activities.

City tours on the shore excursion would be suitable for all ages. With 8 or 9 people, you maybe better off book a limo and create your own personalized tour.

I will also recommend Celebrity for your diverse age group and I would definietly suggest to stay away from Carnival (party) and NCL (inconsistent service). As alternatives, RCCL would be good for the kids and Hollands would be better for the mature folks.

Princess and Celebrity would be the in-between that has something for everyone.