Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Our NCL cruise out of Iceland. Back to covid testing.

Our NCL cruise out of Iceland. Back to covid testing.

Old May 19th, 2022, 06:39 AM
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 10,230
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our NCL cruise out of Iceland. Back to covid testing.

Got an email from NCL Monday inre to our Iceland cruise embarkation June 23rd. Among other things this notes " All vaccinated guests regardless off age must provide proof of a neg. COVID 19 antigen or NAAT (i.e. PCR) administered by a verified 3rd party within three days of the embarkation date for cruises originating from non US/Canadian port. "
jacketwatch is online now  
Old May 25th, 2022, 11:41 AM
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 21,998
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that's a good idea. There has not really been a good test of COVID transmission on ships since Omicron/ dropping testing and masking. Andecdotes of many cases detected after the passengers disembark.

Good luck!

I have only been on a different smaller NCL ship, the Sun. We liked it at the time.

mlgb is offline  
Old May 25th, 2022, 02:37 PM
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 10,230
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mlgb View Post
I think that's a good idea. There has not really been a good test of COVID transmission on ships since Omicron/ dropping testing and masking. Andecdotes of many cases detected after the passengers disembark.

Good luck!

I have only been on a different smaller NCL ship, the Sun. We liked it at the time.
The ship is the Star. The itinerary is amazing. We leave from Iceland and plan to stay there three days ahead of time before we go. The ship has three stops in Iceland itself, two stops in Norway and two stops in Scotland before disembarking in Southampton.
As this is in June we will certainly have a lot of daylight too.

jacketwatch is online now  
Old May 27th, 2022, 12:11 PM
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 10,938
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mlgb View Post
I think that's a good idea. There has not really been a good test of COVID transmission on ships since Omicron/ dropping testing and masking. Andecdotes of many cases detected after the passengers disembark.

Good luck!

I have only been on a different smaller NCL ship, the Sun. We liked it at the time.
Not just anecdotes: https://www.cruzely.com/cruise-ship-...ossible-cases/
Thank goodness for vaccines. I never dreamed we would still be dealing with this after two years. I have just given up trying to travel at all for now, too stressful for me to contemplate.

I really hope the trend is downward in the next few days and your cruise is wonderful as it should be.
Sassafrass is online now  
Old May 28th, 2022, 06:27 AM
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 10,230
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sassafrass View Post
Not just anecdotes: https://www.cruzely.com/cruise-ship-...ossible-cases/
Thank goodness for vaccines. I never dreamed we would still be dealing with this after two years. I have just given up trying to travel at all for now, too stressful for me to contemplate.

I really hope the trend is downward in the next few days and your cruise is wonderful as it should be.
Thank you.
I too thought by now we would be well past this but not so obviously.

Just be as safe as you can be.

We are double boosted BTW,.
jacketwatch is online now  
Old Jun 3rd, 2022, 07:59 AM
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We're on the exact same cruise on the Star... same dates and everything. We're also arriving 3 days early. I was a little confused on the testing though after I finished check in. I already scheduled the home proctoring to be done hours before we get on our flight to Reykjavik on 6/20, but during the check in process it looks like we're also going to be testing on the dock. Does that sound right?
pattipetrone7758 is offline  
Old Jun 5th, 2022, 07:33 AM
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 10,230
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pattipetrone7758 View Post
We're on the exact same cruise on the Star... same dates and everything. We're also arriving 3 days early. I was a little confused on the testing though after I finished check in. I already scheduled the home proctoring to be done hours before we get on our flight to Reykjavik on 6/20, but during the check in process it looks like we're also going to be testing on the dock. Does that sound right?
I just completed the check-in process and you can get testing on the dock. In fact you have to do agree to it before you can get on the ship and print your documents. However I did not know this before so I arrange for testing for us when we arrive on the 20th and it is scheduled for after 4 oíclock or Less than 72 hours before embarkation. I did call the travel agency and they called Norwegian because I wanted to know if we could use this test instead of theirs seeing as how I already payed for it anyway and the answer was you can. I am hoping this will save us some time in line when we embark.
The testing location was recommended by the hotel as they do a lot of testing for tourists and it is a government sponsored office.
jacketwatch is online now  
Old Jun 22nd, 2022, 09:30 PM
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 10,230
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jacketwatch View Post
I just completed the check-in process and you can get testing on the dock. In fact you have to do agree to it before you can get on the ship and print your documents. However I did not know this before so I arrange for testing for us when we arrive on the 20th and it is scheduled for after 4 oíclock or Less than 72 hours before embarkation. I did call the travel agency and they called Norwegian because I wanted to know if we could use this test instead of theirs seeing as how I already payed for it anyway and the answer was you can. I am hoping this will save us some time in line when we embark.
The testing location was recommended by the hotel as they do a lot of testing for tourists and it is a government sponsored office.
F/U. Got it done. Quite easy really and we all tested negative. The results were both emailed and texted.
jacketwatch is online now  
Old Jun 23rd, 2022, 09:59 AM
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 21,998
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bon Voyage. I assume F/U stands for final update!!!
mlgb is offline  
Old Jun 24th, 2022, 05:00 AM
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 10,230
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mlgb View Post
Bon Voyage. I assume F/U stands for final update!!!
Almost. Follow Up. 😂
BTW Reykjavik was quite chilly, rainy too. We are is Isafjordur now and itís a little nicer though I hear itís an abnormally cool summer. You definitely need to layer and bring waterproof jacket and a hat.
jacketwatch is online now  
Old Jun 24th, 2022, 02:32 PM
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 10,938
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you been to Iceland before? It always seemed very interesting, but we never worked out going when we had the chance. Some people say it is magical, others are not so enthusiastic. What do you say? Don’t want to take time from your trip, so don’t feel you have to answer right now.
Sassafrass is online now  
Old Jun 26th, 2022, 11:22 PM
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 10,230
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sassafrass View Post
Have you been to Iceland before? It always seemed very interesting, but we never worked out going when we had the chance. Some people say it is magical, others are not so enthusiastic. What do you say? Donít want to take time from your trip, so donít feel you have to answer right now.
good morning from the Norwegian Sea! We left Iceland last night and this was our first time here. Would I go again? Maybe or maybe not. I must say it was much colder than I thought it would be. According to one of the locals I met global climate change has affected them by making their summers colder than normal. The temperatures here weíre about 10į lower than what I looked up their normals should be.
That being said the natural beauty is really utterly amazing. Itís so green and there are waterfalls just about everywhere. The landscapes are just stunning. I also must say that everybody we met has been so friendly I canít believe it.
I do have to say itís a rather harsh climate. However people here adapt like people in most places do and I would say if you get a chance to come here you should definitely come here. However just dress very warm. LOL
jacketwatch is online now  
Old Jun 27th, 2022, 08:45 AM
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 21,998
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How did you like the Star, jacketwatch?
mlgb is offline  
Old Jun 27th, 2022, 11:07 PM
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 10,230
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mlgb View Post
How did you like the Star, jacketwatch?
So far so good. Itís a panamax ship so smaller by newer ships dimensions but itís clean, the crew has been wonderful and we are at less than half full so lines have been short. Weíve used 2 specialty restaurants so far and both were very nice. Steakhouse is next.
Larry.
jacketwatch is online now  
Old Jul 1st, 2022, 07:40 PM
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 10,938
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hope your cruise is going wonderfully.
Sassafrass is online now  
Related Topics
Thread
Original Poster
Forum
Replies
Last Post

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information