Reload this Page >

Ocho Rios Snorkeling

Search

Ocho Rios Snorkeling

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2002, 07:07 AM
Barbara

Ocho Rios Snorkeling

We will be stopping in Ocho Rios soon and I was wondering how the snorkeling is at Ocho Rios. Any ideas about excursions would also be appreciated. Done Dunn Falls before.

Old May 7th, 2002, 07:31 AM
Peter

My opinion only - if you aren't going to do Dunns River Falls and you don't need any Blue Mountain coffee - stay on the ship. Jamaica is a very intimidating country - people pushing drugs and aggressively pushing their souveniers. Very dirty and lots of poverty. I really don't know why the cruise lines stop there. Do a search on Ocho Rios on cruisecritic. You'll see that there are quite a number of people who will agree with me.

Old May 7th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Nanette

Peter!<BR><BR>Hi.<BR><BR>I completely disagree! I'd heard HORROR STORIES on the internet, and was leary about Ochos Rios.<BR><BR>When we got off the ship, there was security and smiling faces everywhere. As we walked towards the Casa Blanca shopping center, a few fellows tried to "give us" dope. Plenty of guys wanted to be our "cab-driver/tourguide". A pleasant "no thanks" was all that was needed.<BR><BR>I thought Ochos Rios was great! We ended up hanging out at Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville...again...security crawling all over the place.<BR><BR>I wouldn't hesitate to go back.

Old May 7th, 2002, 06:13 PM
Cathy

I agree with Nanette. I have been to Jamaica several times and have never had any problems. The key is to be sensibly cautious and to treat the Jamaicans with respect. <BR>I have heard that snorkeling, especially in the Ocho Rios area is a bust. The reefs have not been protected and there are very few fish. One option is the horseback riding excursion. Have not done it but have heard good reviews from other passengers. This is the Chucka Cove excursion where you ride through a plantation, down to the beach, and then you ride your horse in the ocean. Wear swimsuit underneath. There may also be a dolphin encounter in the area now.

Old May 7th, 2002, 10:58 PM
Paul Therault

<BR>Is this the same Peter that swears to book your own tours off the ship?<BR><BR>Why the change? <BR><BR>I'll go with Nanette, she knows how to have fun. People are intimidated by the natives but they are a heck of a lot of fun to talk to.<BR><BR>Still - stay on the beaten path and don't go off on your own. Best to take the standard ship's tours or go with Marvin.<BR><BR>A great restaurant where you can go for a pop is the "Ruins." Near the pier. Cathy is correct, don't snorkle.<BR><BR>Enjoy Jamaica mon.<BR><BR>Paul

Old May 8th, 2002, 05:37 AM
Peter

Barbara - for every one of these "ok" stories, there's a horror story. Don't take my word for it - go to cruisecritic and do a search for ocho rios.<BR><BR>Paul - what does my post have to do with doing your own excursions rather than the overpriced ship's excursions. When we went to Ocho Rios we did book our own trip to Dunn's River Falls on a nice catamaran. Maybe you need new reading glasses.

Old May 8th, 2002, 05:52 AM
Nanette

"I'll go with Nanette, she knows how to have fun."<BR><BR>Let's go, baby! We ain't left yet, Paul?<BR><BR>*winking*<BR>

Old May 8th, 2002, 07:13 AM
Barbara

Thanks for all the answers. I'll leave my snorkel gear on the ship. Having been to Ocho Rios before, I know the island is beautiful and will definitely get off the ship. However, I do remember the poverty and the forcefulness of sales people, so I have very mixed emotions. I'm going with my 19 year old daughter and 73 year old mother so horseback riding is out. I don't know if mom is up to walking the steps up to the falls. Any more suggestions?

Old May 8th, 2002, 07:24 AM
Dee

My husband and I have waked around Ocho Rios without any problems. I wouldn't recommend doing it with your daughter and mother. On one of our cruises to Ocho Rios, our cruise agent was able to book us for the day at one of the resorts for $45 including a shuttle from the ship. See if your agent can do something like this, or maybe you can contact one and see if a day is possible.

Old May 8th, 2002, 07:42 AM
Nanette

http://www.sandals.com/main/ochorios/or-home.cfm<BR><BR>That's a GREAT idea. In fact, I'd contacted Sandals, at the above, about getting a "day pass". <BR><BR>They offered an "all inclusive" day, food and drink for about 70 bucks per person.<BR><BR>(We ended up at Margaritaville instead).<BR><BR>I'm uncertain as to whether they allow children, though.