Norweigan Dawn 7-Day from NYC

Old Jan 6th, 2004, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Norweigan Dawn 7-Day from NYC

I'm not sure if I'll ever get around to posting an actual trip report, but I just wanted to post and offer to answer any questions regarding this cruise.

I just returned Sunday, 1/4. Some general thoughts:

*The Nassau Dolphin Swim excursion was sold out by 3:45pm of the day the cruise began. We weren't even in the water yet! Probably would be best to try and book it through Norweigan WAY in advance. Although I guess I need to take into account I went during New Year's week.
*It was very hard to make a restaurant reservation over the phone. It seemed as if noone really answered the reservation line all that much, it was better to go into the reception area and make them in person.
* Cagney's steakhouse- meat lover's don't miss it! I was really impressed.
*The cost to go on the internet was crazy. $3.95 for your 1st log-in and 75 cents a min afterwards. There were some packages you could buy, but they wouldn't have reduced the cost that much.
* I was with my mother and she eats very early, so we didn't have any trouble with waits at the main restaurants. But, if you eat between 6-8 you may find yourselves in a line, or being asked "would you mind sharing a table?"
* Norweigan's private island- beautiful. The water was so calm and blue. I would advise to get there early and try and stake out a spot on the beach that is out of the way, I chose to sit in an area that was all the way to the left (as you are on the boat approaching the island) near some huge rock formations.
*In Nassau- I really wanted to take a taxi to Arawak Cay beach which I heard actually has local flavor. I was told it was a 35 min ride and it would cost $15. We didn't do it, but instead took a taxi to Paradise Island ($4 each) and walked to the public beach next to the Sheraton. It is very easy to get a taxi back to the town.
*The service on the ship was excellent and very detail-oriented.
*Overall I was pleased with the presentation and quality of the food. The only thing I have to compare it to is a Carnival Cruise, and it was WAY better than that.

I'll post a link later to some pics that I'll put up on the net.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 12:48 PM

Enjoyed your report. We are booked on the Dawn in Mar. and have questions about the ship and cruise. We are concerned about ages of the passengers. Were there a LOT of kids? What time did you get to the pier for embarkation? Was it a mad-house or was it handled efficiently? Did you go to Disney when you were in Port Canaveral? Aside from the Dolphin swim do you recommend booking the shore excursions in advance? Anything else you can think of to tell us will be appreciated. Glad to hear you liked the ship
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

There were tons of kids, but you have to take into account that all kids had that week off. In March you may run into more college-age kids on spring break. I am unsure if the younger kids have time in March off??

It seemed as if familes with children ate mostly at the buffet type areas. It was much more calm in the sit-down restaurants.

We got to the pier in NYC around 1:30. Getting on was pretty organized, getting off this Sun. was very chaotic. We went to Sea World from Port Canaveral. I had never seen any of the theme parks as crowded as it was on this day.

The dolphin swim was the only excursion that I was aware of selling out so quick. If your ship is a sold-out one I would recommend deciding what excursions you want to do ahead of time and pre-booking. Then you don't need to make the mad dash to the excursion desk as soon as you get on. Or at least do it as soon as your settled in your room. Also, if your interested in eating at the French restaurant any of the nights book it when you first get on. I heard rumors that it was booked up for many of the days on my cruise.

Old Jan 6th, 2004, 04:03 PM

Thanks AP6380. You've answered a lot of my questions. I'm really looking forward to this cruise now.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 06:43 PM

I was also on this cruise. you can book the excursions far in advance which I suggust. also agree to the lack of resturant reservationist. they never answered the phone, and I hated having to book all resturants 1 day in advance, I would have preferred booking all before getting on the ship. all ages of kids will love the ship. have fun
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 05:41 AM

I think I forgot to mention we are two "senior" ladies. That's why we are interested in the number of kids on board. If we were looking for a "fun" ship we would book on Disney or Carnival.