Norwegian Wind Alaska June 2006

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Booked 7 day cruise in and out of Vancouver as part of a 3 week trip to Canada.

Has anyone sailed Alaska on this cruise ship?

Anyone provide any tips or experiences?
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 12:50 AM

Hi - we are almost about to book the same trip. Anyone got anything at all to say about it??
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 01:16 AM

I have sailed NCL in Alaska. It seems people either love it or hate it and does get criticism. But hopefully your priority in Alaska is for what is outside the ship. The positives, freestyle dining, works perfectly for me, but not for those who like the sameness of service. It it includes
Glacier Bay- a big plus. It sails inside Vancouver Island, endless scenery. No ship naturalist- a negative- perhaps.

If you got a good price and the dates you wish- go with it, you will find out however, Alaska isn't a one time trip.
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 02:27 AM

Thanks for that good advice BudgetQueen. I am not sure if we got a bargain price wise but it seemed the best on offer at the moment.. maybe last minute might have been better but we have to use specific dates so maybe not. On the advise of another web page we have booked a balcony room - is this worth it?
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 05:17 PM

I have cruised Alaska on the NCL Sky. I think you did right by booking a balcony cabin, definitely the right decision for the itinerary.

I had a fun time on our NCL trip as we were with 20 other family members. Given the choice of NCL or other lines, it would not be one of my top picks. BudgetQueen is right, most people either love it or hate it. I think a lot depends on what your basis of comparison is. If this is one of your first cruises, I think you'll enjoy it. If you've cruised on more upscale lines, you may be disappointed. The scenery is magnificent and I know you'll love seeing Alaska regardless of whether or not you like the cruise line.
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 12:10 AM

I go in the cheapest cabin since I travel 8 weeks/year. And I do spend all my time out on the front deck. But I do suggest- if the balcony cost cuts into your touring funds, think carefully. Port tours are a necessary part of Alaska travel for most, you get only half a trip without them.

But even "old timers" can love NCL, of which I do. Last month's Dawn sailing was cruise #35 for me.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Which Alaska excursions do you recommend most?

We want to go in a helicopter over Glacier Bay. Any others that shouldn't be missed?
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 07:08 AM

There are no helicopter tours that go over glacier bay that I know of??? They go over the Juneau ice fields.

I've gone with Coastal out of Juneau the most. A small company with great personal attention. There are way too many excellent excursions to recommend. Take a look at a shore excursion list and narrow down your interests, budget fully and repost.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 11:29 PM

BudgetQueen, may I ask for your recommedations for shore excursions on this trip? They are not yet bookable but I would like some idea what to try for when they are..
Thanks!
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 04:52 AM

Take a look at any cruiseline's shore excursions, I know HAL is available. Then you will have a general idea what is available. If offered, the Tracy Arm jet boat is just excellent and a far better way to see the fjord.