Need cruise line suggestion

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're new to cruising and are looking for advice on which cruise line to pick. We need a good kids program for our 3- and 5-year olds, but also a certain level of luxury for their grandparents, who normally go on Cunard, Regent Seven Seas, etc. Also, we would like to sail out of the east coast (NYC/Miami).
Thanks!
Old Dec 28th, 2008, 10:02 AM

Kids programs are usually not compatible with luxury. Probably your best bet would new Holland America ships: Noordam, Eurodam, Westerdam. Also Princess.
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 01:35 AM

I am a HAL Fan which would be great
for the grandparents but not necessarily for their kids programs.

Suggest you register (free) on
www.cruisecritic.com & check out
NCL, Celebrity, etc.
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 06:13 AM

Do not take kids on a HAL ship.

While Holland America is great for Adults, it is awful for kids.

First off they have a policy that says that if there is not at least a certain number of kids (usually 20) on the ship then they do not open there kids program.

Plus the kids program is only open for a few hours a day.

Holland America has amazing food and good entertainment, but they do not like kids. I went on one with my 7 ear old and got so many dirty looks.

So I think your best bet is Princess. They have great kids programs and are also on the upper level of the larger cruises for luxury. If you want the kids to have a cruise of a life time go on Disney. Disney has the best kids program hands down.

When I choose a cruise I have to think of not only the adults but my daughter. It is her vacation too. So I tend to try and choose Cruise Lines that are good to kids. I want a kids program that is open almost all day long. Also one that serves kid friendly food (mac-n-cheese, chicken fingers). Also one that has entertainment that she would like. Adults can fend for themselves and cruises are what you make of them. But put a kid on a cruise that does not like kids and they will be miserable for seven days, and guess what, that makes you miserable and your vacation miserable.

Holland America served great food, but none of it was kid friendly. No kids favorites at all. No mac-n-cheese or pizza or chicken fingers. Luckily my daughter likes most adult food, so I was able to feed her that. But each night she only ate Steak and a baked potato because that is all she would like on the menu. Think of it like this, take your kids to an adult restaurant one that does not have a kids menu, and eat there 3 times a day for 7 days.

I have friends with kids that will only eat the kid friendly foods. And if they sailed on Holland America they would leave the ship at the first port.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 03:30 PM

HAL or Celebrity. Holland America ihas a litle older clientele and is very nice. But Celebrity (in spite of their disgusting ads) is very similar, but with younger passengers, and, I think, better food and shows.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 04:20 PM

We just went on a Carnival cruise with the whole family including a 7 yr. old and and a 2 yr. old. The kids program is awesome. As for dinner, the kids always had pizza and cheesburgers. It was also great for grandparents.