NCL: New England & Halifax Ports

May 13th, 2001, 03:52 AM
Ilene H.

NCL: New England & Halifax Ports

In July, we're taking Norweigan Sea to Halifax, Nova Scotia; Bal Harbor, Maine; Boston, Mass.; Martha's Vineyard and Newport, RI. Would like information regarding worthwhile shore excursions in these ports - or is it easy to do your own tour?
Also, does anyone have anything nice to say about cruising on Norweigan?
Thanks. Ilene H.

May 13th, 2001, 05:33 AM
Parrot Mom

Halifax can be done on your own...Do not bother with Peggy's Cove.. We hired a taxi driver and he gave us a lovely tour and Halifax was certainly prettier than I had expected.. Newport, R.I. you of course want to see the cottages..I doubt you could squeeze in more than two.. Bar Harbor has lovely antique shops and Arcadia National Park..Martha's Vineyard is charming and quite small.. It depends on the tours they are offering..Much of it can be seen by hiring a bicyle.. for more information please write .. Also as to NCL we are going two weeks from today to Bermuda on the Majesty for the 9th time.. and our first cruise many years ago was on the Sea..

May 13th, 2001, 08:29 AM
Jackie

Ilene ,
We are gong on the Norweigan Sea also on July 1.When are you going? We have heard mixed comments about the ship. We also heard the same about the Norweigan Wind, the ship we were on in March, which turned out to be very nice,food was great and the entertainment was excellent. We plan on taking our own tours. I was in Boston several yeara ago and they have a nice tour of the city.Same with Martha's Vineyard.

May 14th, 2001, 02:42 AM
Parrot Mom

If either of you are interested will be glad to give you taxi drivers phone number. On the tour of Halifax he took us to the cemetary of victims of the Titanic..it was very moving, more than I imagined it would be.. he also dropped us off at the Citadel where we were able to enjoy a noon time bag pipe and marching concert. We called him and he drove us down to the waterfront where we had lunch and then you could walk back to the ship and on the way visit the Maritime Museum.. I'm wondering (we are from Boston) when you go to Boston you could take a taxi to Quincy Market which isn't far and take a Trolley Tour. Boston is a walkable city. In Newport my favorite mansion is the Rosecliff seen in the movie The Great Gatsby..and if your interested and write I will check out which other "cottage" has the actors..

May 21st, 2001, 06:26 PM
Dianna

We will also be taking this cruise on July 28th. Thanks for the info.

May 21st, 2001, 10:17 PM
Paul Therault

The almighty dollar always wins out over common sense.

There is bound to be a major disaster on NCL one of these days.

The maintenance is nil and the crew does not have the capability of running a ship.

Cancel your cruise and pay a few bucks more for a reliable cruise line.

I should not be saying this since I am a travel agent but I really am frightened that NCL is still sailing.

Paul

May 21st, 2001, 10:48 PM
Evelyn

Wasn't it an NCL that 'tipped' around Seattle the other day? I guess the auto pilot broke...

I read about it on cruise-addicts.com...I would still love to go on the Bermuda cruise. I'm trying to get my hubby to go the July 29 cruise with me...

May 22nd, 2001, 07:10 PM
Parrot Mom

Evelyn we are going in four days on our 9th trip to Bermuda on the Majesty from Boston... As for you Paul.. let people do what they want..I would have gone on the Sky to Alaska too, if I ever decide I want to be on a cruise where I have to wear a jacket....As a matter of fact I'm thinking about taking the NCL Sun to Miami from New York...don't knock it yet..it hasn't even sailed yet...

May 22nd, 2001, 08:02 PM
Paul Therault

Gee, is that all ..... only the automatic pilot malfunctioned?

Do you realize what would happen to an airliner if the automatic pilot malfunctioned? This is why this all-important unit is checked and maintained before every flight.

Maybe this episode will not be covered up and will be investigated by the US Coast Guard since the ship is ported in Seattle.

I wonder who was manning the bridge? The regular teenage crew probably.

I was on a NCL ship that laid over on it's side two years ago .... the pasengers found it very exciting .... great ride ..... no extra charge.

I wonder how many passengers were injured this time?

NCL is giving the cruise industry a bad name.

And you still want to cruise NCL? Bring your rosary beads.

Paul

May 28th, 2001, 08:54 AM
Ilene H.

We are taking the July 8 cruise to New England. Some of the replies to my question have been very helpful. I am somewhat concerned about the comments about Norwegian cruise line. Are there any people who have recently taken Norwegian and been pleased with their cruise?

May 28th, 2001, 08:43 PM
Paul Therault

C'mon you guys. The Sky is only a couple of years old. Due to no preventive maintenance the ship rolls over on it's side. Do you realize what this is like???

There were 78 injuries, 16 passengers with broken bones. How would you like a TV set to fall on your head before you are plastered up against the wall?

With all the negative posts on this forum people still use money saved as an excuse for brains.

Paul

May 29th, 2001, 06:51 AM
Phil

Hey Folks,

Warning warning, Danger Wil Robinson!
This cruise line is in serious pooh pooh. On of their ships is currently being detained do to faulty sprinkler systems. Doesn't say too much now does it. Just remeber these ships are quite large and a fire is a BIG problem.

May 29th, 2001, 07:04 AM
Phil

Sorry about my spelling. (due to & remember).

May 29th, 2001, 11:28 AM
Ilene H.

Paul:
We are not taking this cruise to save money. We are taking the cruise because of the itinerary - 5 ports we would like to see. If NCL is so bad, why isn't the whole cruiseline shut down? We have taken cruises on Celebrity and RCCL, however, we are not expecting NCL to have as good food, but we do expect it to be safe, and again, we are interested in sightseeing in the various ports.

May 29th, 2001, 11:41 AM
Phil

Ilene,

don't you get it. This cruise line has been cited for multiple violations. It is next to impossible to do this due to foreign registry. They have to be violating just about every rule in the book with safety concerns in order to be cited. Believe me, Paul loves cruise lines. He lives and breathes this stuff. If he says they're bad. They're bad!!!!

May 29th, 2001, 02:16 PM
Paul Therault

Thanks Phil, I do live 7 days a week 365 days a year studying travel. If there is something negative or positive to report, I report it. I love my job.

Finally the US Coast Guard is thoroughly inspecting the NCL ships for maintenance problems probably due to the NCL Sky that tipped over on it's side in the Seattle area .... a US Port.

Paul

May 31st, 2001, 11:03 AM
Ilene H.

Dear Paul:
Thanks for your input. You have me concerned about safety issues, however, we have already paid for this cruise, which leaves NYC on July 8. I hope it is safe. Are all NCL ships being inspected? I'm hoping these incidents will prompt safety checks on all NCL ships. Do you know anything about this?

May 31st, 2001, 07:26 PM
Paul Therault

Dear llene,

I have not read in the Travel Agency News Magazines where the Coast Guard is inspecting all ships.

I truly wish they would inspect all ships if their budget will allow.

I was hoping all these mishaps would wake up NCL. Who knows ????

The U.S. Government was to implement safety standards and create a budget for inspections. This was some time ago. Who knows what happened.

Safety is a very large issue with all cruise lines and certainly have spent many thousands building new ships with this in mind.

As an example .... RCCL's Voyager and Explorer has 6" thick fire doors that close off the entire 5 deck high Promenade. The doors are hidden in the walls. It took me quite some time to find them.

The industry is now drawing up plans for new types of huge life boats (like ships within a ship) that will be stored inside at the water line. Passengers will gather in this area and the boats will slide into the water when they are boarded. Sounds crazy to me but the prototype is being developed.

All new ships undergo intensive sea trials before their inaugural voyage. Many times new-builds are detained because of some failure in the sea trials. The Grand Princess had to be detained so most of the metal on the upper decks were changed to light fire-resistant plastic. The ship was top-heavy.

You see, things are being done to keep us all safe at sea. Now the ships have to be maintained by competent crew. NCL has to wake up and spend more money. First it has to make more money and hang the shareholders. Possibly if they stop spending thousands of advertising dollars hyping "free style cruising" especially in our trade papers (stupid) .......

You have a very good chance of sailing safely. Thousands of passengers are leaving every week and have an average cruise on NCL.

Paul