Search

Oceania cruises

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2018, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oceania cruises

Considering a Jan, 2020 Oceania cruise from Miami that goes up the Amazon. Anyone been on Oceania Marina, and/or cruised the Amazon ?
Old Nov 17th, 2018, 11:53 AM

Done both, been on Oceania Marina and cruised the Amazon. What questions do you have.

You might want to check CruiseCritic.com - you can read scores of reviews of 1) Oceania as a cruise line, 2) Marina as a ship and 3) The Amazon as a cruise.
Old Nov 17th, 2018, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Looked at Cruise Critic, but some conflicting info. Did you like the ship ? It's smaller than the transatlantic ships we have been on, and some don't seem to like that. (although some will complain regardless) Since you are a frequent traveler, your insight will be helpful. How were the Amazon stops ? Any particular tours you enjoyed ? Was the scenery as beautiful as pictures ?
Old Nov 17th, 2018, 05:07 PM

We sailed on Marina 3 times and enjoyed each trip. The size was fine for us as we do not particularly care for larger ships holding 2x’s or 3x’s as many passengers. You may feel differently, of course. We did not encounter any problems whatsoever with ship or it’s crew and we found the common areas of the ship to be “just about right”.

As with all cruise we’ve been on there are multiple choices of excursions in each port of call. Since it is impossible to go on every one you should pick excursions based on YOUR particular interests not what I or others might like. It is almost inevitable that you’ll find some excursions better than others and the ones you like might differ from what your fellow travelers might enjoy. People have different interests that’s why you read conflicting comments and reviews.

There are places along the Amazon where the scenery was as good or better than what we saw in pictures and in other places it was leads than spectacular- much the same as it is in any areas of the world where we’ve traveled.
Old Nov 18th, 2018, 06:21 PM

We cruised up the Amazon on Oceania two years ago - we were on the Regatta. We got a wonderful fare in a penthouse cabin mainly because it was right at the time of the Zika virus scare, and they needed to fill cabins. They gave us a lot of free amenities - drinks, wifi, and excursions, although we booked our own shore excursions, because I hate being on any kind of tour with a lot of other people.

I wasn't sure if being on a ship for 23 days was going to be too much, but in the end, we absolutely loved the entire voyage. The scenery along the river was beautiful - it was amazing to sit out on our balcony in the evening and watch the stars and the river slip by. We never saw a single mosquito the whole time - that had been a concern for us. They had a really good lecturer, which enhanced the experience in ports.

We also liked the casual atmosphere on the ship - mostly interesting and fairly well-traveled retired people, not any wild partying types. Food was very good, and we enjoyed a few of the evening shows onboard. But just being on the Amazon was the best part for us.
Old Nov 19th, 2018, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks scdreamer. I have a great interest in how others see their experience. After hearing what others like, and some research, I can make up my mind. Can you please share with us what excursions you enjoyed ? I agree that I will likely use private tours, rather than large groups. Congrats on scoring the penthouse.