Search

Motion sickness on Haiwaiian cruise

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2007, 11:25 AM
ghn
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motion sickness on Haiwaiian cruise

Is the 7-day Hawaiian cruise on NCL less likely to give one motion sickness because it travels at night & the traveling distances between the islands are small ?

Has anyone been on both types of cruises:
1. Cruises that have "at sea" days
2. Cruises that don't

What is the difference in term of motion sickness ?

Thanks very much.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 11:42 AM

I've been on both, and have experienced rough seas two times. Both were during the day, but I'm not sure how much that has to do with it, except you may notice it more if you're awake. Certain routes are known for rough seas, and obviously certain areas during hurricane season. I've never cruised in Hawaii, so can't answer that specifically!
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 01:18 PM

Hard question to answer because motion sickness has nothing to do with night time and short distances. It is all about motion and water. Generally speaking in stormy weather with all conditions being equal shallow water will be rougher than deep water. That is way the Aegean Sea will be rougher than the Atlantic under the same conditions. Ship design will determine how much motion you will feel. Most ships can mininize roll but not pitch. The bigger the ship less problem with pitch.

Since you are visiting the tips of volcanos that rose from the floor of the Pacific, I doubt if there is much difference in the depth of the water between the islands and the open Pacific. Therefore, no difference. The islands may provide some protection from the winds but don't think that will make a lot of difference. IF you have motions sickness problems, I don't think it wil make much difference where you cruise. Just take some preventive actions.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 07:16 PM

Check out http://www.queasydrops.com/

It's an inexpensive, natural remedy for motion sickness and nausea in general.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 04:53 AM

I just returned from the 7 day Hawaiian cruise. I think it all depends on the winds at the time you travel. This itinerary does allow most time in ports. It does travel at night, and slowly. That being said there were some nights when it was rocking quite a bit. It doesn't affect me but if you are prone to it then you should take precautions and use meds. We were also on the older ship I am sure the newer ones have better stabilizers and constructed more high tech then the older ship. (Pride of Aloha.) It is a nice way to see the Islands.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 10:05 AM

If you do book a cruise also you should not book a guaranty category. Get a cabin assigned as close to the middle of the ship as possible. The boat rocks less in the middle, length wise..not deck wise..that may help with the motion sickness.