Notices

most convenient hotel to embark Venice

Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
most convenient hotel to embark Venice

We will depart from Venice on the Splendor of the Seas next July.

Can you recommend convenient accomodations near the embarkation ? If we stay near Rialto is there a direct way to reach the emabarkation , or is there a better way to do this ?

Thank you for your help.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 08:22 AM

Try finding a hotel in Mestre, which is near the airport and on the port side of Venice. Two years ago, we stayed at the "Plaza" which is right across from the train station. We got the hotel through Expedia. Do your homework but I have always prefer to stay across the "water" from Venice. It is very accessible to everything.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 12:29 PM

I pesonally think that to be in Venice and stay anywhere but the center is a waste. Although I am not a fan of the city, the best part of Venice is wandering through the many sidestreets and getting lost between canals.

I am going on a cruise next year that departs from Venice and we chose a hotel between the Rialto bridge and San Marco. After five visits there, I would not choose to stay near the station or the airport.
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 06:09 AM

Okoshi, I will be doing a cruise ending in Venice.I have been to Venice once last year.You are going in July,I hate to give you the bad news,but the crowds will be awful added to the heat,forget about it.I am going in May as I see it there will be two major hurdles,the first is the amount of luggage from a cruise we will be lugging onto the vaparetos which will be packed with people,then trying to find your hotel or B.B.
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 06:21 AM

Okoshi, I will be doing a cruise ending in Venice.I have been to Venice once last year.You are going in July,I hate to give you the bad news,but the crowds will be awful added to the heat,forget about it.I am going in May, as I see it there will be two major hurdles,the first is the amount of luggage from a cruise we will be lugging onto the vaparettos which will be packed with people,then trying to find your hotel or B.B.The only thing I am going to do is stay on Lido.I know people get freaked when I suggest this but the island is not crowded nor is it noisey , and an added bonus is you get to mingle with the locals. The hotels are more reasonble and it takes only about ten minutes by vaparetto from Saint Marks square .We would stay on Venice for 5 or 6 hours then return to Lido rest for a while then go back to fight the crowds ,there were plenty of great restruants on Lido ,or would take an empty vaparetto back and forth at night. Good luck
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 06:23 AM

sorry I somehow hit the post button,they don't call me thumbs for nothing.lol.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Staying on the "port" side actually does sound sensible.

Any other recommendations ? I will check on the "Plaza" near Mestre.

Thank you.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 02:27 PM

Here is what we did in early August:

Flew in, grabbed a blue ATVO bus downstairs at the airpost to Piazalle Roma. You want the buses that are blue, and marked Piazzale Rome. It's not hard...really. Once at PR, we stored most of our luggage at the luggage storage place just across the street from the buses(3.5 E per day per piece - best money I ever spent). Bought 72 hour vapretto passes at the kiosk across the street (we were staying a few days). Walked onto the #1 vapretto (think public bus, except that it's a boat) with an overnight bag and one small roll-on. Went 8 stops on the vapretto, got off at the San Angelo stop and walked 15 FEET to our hotel, the Hotel Manin. I loved the convenience, I loved the peace and quiet in a very central part of Venice, I loved the fabulous garden out back for breakfast or a nightly drink. I also loved the fact we did not pay for a private water taxi at 80e.

I'm telling you - I've never been to Venice before this - but I made it look so easy that my husband gave me the moniker "travel goddess".

It was all very intimatidating, reading this post and that post, just remember that Venice is an island. All the vaprettos go in a circle. If you can read a map, you can get where you need to go.

Have a FABULOUS vacation! (and if you stay at the Manin, eat dinner at the very reasonable Aqua Pazza restaurant - it's an outstanding value)

And I want to go again so badly I am researching our next trip as we speak. I may even break with tradition and do a land trip with the rail service between cities (yes, I've gotten overconfident).
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Kate

Storing the luggage sounds like a great idea. It just takes a little planning.

Is that storage locker on my way to get on a RCL cruise ship ?

I haven't quite figured out the logistics of getting from Piazzale Rome to the ship ?