Reload this Page >

Mississippi River Cruise

Search

Mississippi River Cruise

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 1999, 03:03 PM
Marilyn

Mississippi River Cruise

<BR>I would appreciate any info on Mississippi River cruises.I would like to hear pros and cons.What kind of trip is it? When is the best time of year to take one? If any one has gone on one were they happy they did?As you probably surmise I don't know anything about them but I am curious.With gratitude, Marilyn

Old Aug 21st, 1999, 02:46 PM
Dick Hardy

We went on a Mississippi cruise a year and a half ago and enjoyed it a lot. went from Memphis to NO on Miss. Queen. Food was good, cabins nice (though fairly small) entertainment good, excursions excellent. If you have specific questions, let me know. Dick <BR>

Old Aug 22nd, 1999, 07:48 AM
Marilyn

<BR>Dick,I appreciate the reply.Weather wise when would be the best time to take such a trip?How many days was the cruise you took from Memphis to NO.Now that I received a positive response I will send for brochures.Wth gratitude

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 09:52 AM
Dick Hardy

WE went in late March and the weather was great! Never got warmer than mid-70s and no rain - which is very unusual. it was 7 days. When you get the catalogue, let me know and I'll try to answer questions. Dick

Old Aug 27th, 1999, 02:10 PM
marilyn

<BR>Dick,Thanks for replying.The weather you described for March sounds perfect.Hb and I aren't lovers of hot weather.This is the type of weather we like.I am waiting for the brochure.

Old Sep 4th, 1999, 02:17 PM
Terry Worley

My wife and I have been on 4 riverboat trips on the Mississippi, Ohio, and Cumberland Rivers. The food and service were always excellent. We were in our 30's, but most passengers were 60-70; no problem, at least that pretty much eliminated kids. The entertainment was different for us (geared to the 1940's), but it was refreshing. We have been on all 3 ships and recommend the Mississippi Queen. Many trips are on the lower Mississippi, but the river is really ugly down there with lots of industry. Better to cruise around St. Louis or Cincinnati. We always book the F cabins (cheapest), a much better value and we have been upgraded 3 of 4 trips. Plenty of activities on board and the ship docks most every day at a riverside city. Weather in March is iffy, it can be cold, even on the lower MS. (maybe May?) I highly recommend this trip, but try to wait for a special offer if you can; check their web site: DeltaQueen.com.

Old Sep 8th, 1999, 09:24 AM
MARILYN

<BR>Terry,Thanks for the info.It will come in handy in helping us make our choice.

Old Sep 18th, 1999, 09:53 PM
Bernie

Rita and I are taking the 5 day cruise late November/early December. New Orleans and back to NO. I was wondering about the night-time dress code. if any.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 07:55 AM
t. laux

In October 2001, I and my wife traveled on the American Queen from Chattanooga, TN to St. Louts, MO. We were part of the 6 passengers on the boat under 50. The Pilot said the average age was 76 and it was a younger crowd than normal. The food and entertainment was geared to seniors. I AM STILL WAITING ON A REFUND for airfare we didn't use that was promised to me from the American Classic Voyages - owners of the American, Delta, and Mississippi Queen Riverboats. I am glad I went, I would NOT do it again, and particularly at the prices we paid. We went on a two for one special, yet most of the folks on the boat paid 1/5 what we paid (retired military discounts, travel agent discounts, or holdovers from the previous week who got a reduced rate to fill up the boat - as it was it was only half full