Search

Millenium

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2001, 09:10 PM
Lesia

Millenium

We're cruising on the Millenium to the Mediterranean on Sept 4 for our honeymoon. Does anyone know whether there are laundry facilities and irons available. Are irons allowed on board this particular ship? I'd also love to hear from anyone who has sailed this ship/itinerary and get your suggestions on which tours to take and which cities to explore on our own. Thanks.

Old May 17th, 2001, 12:10 PM
Ilene H.

We cruised the Western Mediterranean during September, 2000. I think the itinerary is a little changed from what we took. We had 1 stop in Barcelona (loved the Gaudi 1/2 day shore excursion), 1 stop in Mallorca, 2 different ports on the French Riviera, 1 stop in Malta, and 3 stops at ports in Italy. <BR>We loved this beautiful ship. The decorating, meals, and entertainment was excellent. There are no laundry rooms for guest use on board the ship. I don't recall if there were irons in the room - don't think there were any. The Millenium is a very upscale ship. If you needed something laundered, you gave it to the room steward, and it was promptly delivered back in your room in a day or two. <BR>Regarding shore excursions, they are very necessary in Europe (unlike cruising in the Caribbean). Each day we took a shore excursion, with the exception of Malta and Mallorca, which were easy to navigate. Many of the places you want to visit are a distance (1 hour or more ride) from the ship. You don't want to miss the boat, so many people took shore excusions - 20+ buses would be lined up outside the ship every morning, especially in the Italian ports. <BR>You should receive a book detailing the shore excursions a month or two prior to the sailing. You can contact your travel agent and request a listing of the excusions and fax the form to Celebrity with a charge account number. We booked 6 shore excursions. We found that if we could book an excursion that didn't include lunch, we did that. In Rome and Florence, we took "A Taste of ..." excursions. They included a 1/2 day guided tour of the city and then you had lunch on your own and the other 1/2 day to explore on your own. We found the half day tour to help orient us to the city. As we were not familiar with the European cities, we did not book the "own your own" tours, which did not include a 1/2 day tour. We had a jam packed day touring Sorrento, Capri and Pompeii, which included riding on 2 hydrofoils, taking a funiculuar to the top of Capri, lunch at a lovely restaurant on the Bay of Sorrento, and touring Pompeii. This tour was pricey, but worth it. You have to realize that you have one day and can't see everything, but you get a wonderful overview of Europe. We loved it. <BR>Bon Voyage!!!

Old May 17th, 2001, 05:13 PM
Theresa

There are no self-service laundrey facilities and irons are not allowed in the cabins. It is stated several times. <BR> <BR>If you need something ironed - you must send it off to their laudrey people.

Old May 18th, 2001, 05:03 AM
Lisa

Can you use the little travel steamers? Also how powerful are the hairdryers. I hsve thick hair and it takes forever to dry. So I usually need at least 1500 <BR> <BR>Ilene, I am interested in the Pompeii, sorrento and Capri tour. We are trying to decide whether to do the Herculaneum tour and then do Capri on our own or do the ship's tour to Pompeii, Sorrento, Capri or to organise private guides. There are 9 of us. <BR> <BR>Lesia, we are cruising on June 24 (Istanbul to Barcelona which includes Alexandria - not included on the Barcelona to Istanbul trip) and we are organising a lot of private guides and tours. Of course, as we have 9 people in our group, this often works out cheaper and a little more interesting than a large bus tour. But as there are just 2 of you, it changes the picture. If you want any information, you can e-mail me and I can send you some leads and of course, after July, I will be able to give first hand information

Old May 18th, 2001, 09:53 AM
Lisa

<BR>Lisa - bring your own hairdryer - the hair dryer in the bathroom is not that powerful. Also, I have seen people bring the steamers on board, but they are really not allowed because of the fire hazard.

Old May 18th, 2001, 04:10 PM
Simone

I've never been to Millenium, but to Century and Zenith. Not only irons are not allowed, but they don't work. I've unsuccessfully tried to use them on both ships. But you can send yr clothes to laundry for ironing. It's not expensive at all and they do a good job.

Old May 18th, 2001, 04:12 PM
Ilene H.

Lisa: Regarding doing your own tour, including Capri - These places are fairly spread out, so I don't know the logistics. We took 2 hydrofoils and a bus on the Capri, Pompeii, Sorrento tour. One of the reasons for booking the cruise ships shore excusions is that if you are on their excursion, the boat will wait for you if you are delayed. We had some nights in Italy where the ship sailed later because it was waiting for people who were on the ship's shore excusions to return. If you book your own tour (not from the ship), the ship could sail without you. You have limited time, so the shore excusions pack as much in as possible; we had very knowledgeable tour guides. <BR>Further message to Lesia: When you pack, roll your clothes. They take up less space and have fewer wrinkles. Also, you will unpack everything into the closets and drawers as soon as you get your bags on the ship, so your clothes will have a chance to "straighten out." <BR>Make sure to try to special pool in the spa area - it's free and very relaxing. <BR>Enjoy your honeymoon.

Old May 18th, 2001, 06:45 PM
Lisa

Thanks for the info, Lisa, Simone and Ilene. <BR> <BR>Anyone else notice all the Lisas on this thread.