Carnival Holiday?

May 9th, 2001, 04:02 PM
Michelle

Carnival Holiday?

My husband and I are considering planning a cruise sometime between April and June 2002. We recently sailed on the RCCL Monarch and loved the ports, but we think we preferred the Carnival ships (we sailed the Paradise on our honeymoon June 2000). We are considering cruising on the Holiday because it is port intensive like the Monarch. Our only concern is that it is an older ship and it is smaller than the two we have sailed on previously. Any thoughts or opinions?
Thanks,
Michelle

May 9th, 2001, 09:35 PM
Paul Therault

Hi Michelle,

The Holiday was just refurbed to the tune of 1 Million.

Although all mass-market ships are well kept you will, if you look close see small stains on carpets and furniture .... all lines .... all ships .... new or old. they all have a small crew (one) that takes care of these things but with 400+ cabins it is a herculean feat.

Enjoy the itinerary .... it is fabulous.

Paul

May 10th, 2001, 01:35 PM
CB

We've sailed on the Paradise and the Holiday and while the Paradise is newer they are both cut from the same mold. I had expected the Holiday to be more worn and run down but it wasn't. I would sail on both without hesitation, now the Facination,...that's another story.

May 10th, 2001, 05:24 PM
Laura

To Paul:

When was the Holiday refurbished. We sailed on her the last week of January 2001 and felt she was pretty well past her prime. I knew at that time she was moving to the Caribbean this summer - we sailed San Pedro to Ensenada (4 day) - has she been dry docked/refurbished recently?

Thank you for your input.

May 18th, 2001, 12:57 PM
J-Dub

Yeah -- I'm going on the Holiday June 16th and would love it if the ship was redone..any info would be great on this ship and the ports. cruiseopinion.com has all the ensenada reviews, but not my itinerary.

May 18th, 2001, 05:18 PM
Paul Therault

Hi Laura,

The Holiday was refurbished in 2000.

I know $1M is not a lot of money to spend on fixing-up a ship. I do not know what was done.

You are the first one that I know of that had a complaint.

Possibly you can give me some details????

Paul

May 19th, 2001, 11:50 AM
Laura

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your reply.

The ship just looked run down in spots, most notably in our cabin. Some of the problems could be solved with a good scrubbing, others would require a bit more work. Some of this is just my being persnickety (sp?).

Many of the tiles in the bathroom were either falling off the wall or already had and the grout was covered with mold in the shower and along the floor next to the shower. The sink was stained and chipped.

Our living area was in desparate need of TLC. The facing of the closet was falling off or completely missing in spots, as were the facings on the drawers on the desk/dresser - also the top drawer of the desk/dresser wouldn't open no matter what we tried. The others stuck terribly.

The carpet was filthy with the wear definitely showing. The chairs and the stool at the desk were also stained and one of the chairs was terribly frayed.

Some of the public areas just looked "tired" for a lack of a better term. Some of the carpets could have used repairs in spots as well as a good cleaning.

I was surprised on deck in the evenings that many lights we're burnt out. I know this sounds silly, but when you are stringing lights for effect, I think that a good percentage of them should work.

We really did enjoy the cruise, and didn't let this both us while on the ship - we were on vacation and it was our kids first cruise - but they did stick with me after we got home.

Thank you again for your comments.

May 19th, 2001, 02:34 PM
Tim

I'm curious, when a ship is refurbished, etc is not just the public areas that are redone? One million sounds like that would not include the cabins. Paul, can you give us examples of other ships that have been redone and how much was spent? That might help us compare.

May 20th, 2001, 08:13 PM
Paul Therault

Hi Tim,

The info I post here is what I read in the travel agency trade papers. Sometimes they specify where the money is spent, such as what the line did with a few public areas.

The money spent on the Holiday was not published and I am not about to phone the hotel manager. I know the staterooms are done piece-meal. They can redo a cabin in 4-5 hours when the ship is in their home port. Take a look at a Carnival or any ship for that matter. They dump the furnishings at island ports where the dumping fees are less money. Nassau is a great dumping port.

They do cabins where the mattress or sofa has been stained with urine immediately during their home port stay.

Since they can only redo about 5 cabins a week they do fall behind. You will see them replacing hall carpets also. When they do fall very far behind that is when the refurb is done during drydock.

This is why some cabins are so new looking and some are so worn.

I have been on mass-market ships that were only a couple of months old and I see small stains on the sofas bedspreads and carpets.

I was on the Jubilee last year (before the refurb) which is one year newer than the Holiday. I stuck my nose into many staterooms and none looked worn. I guess it is the luck of the draw.

I was on a ship once that suffered a water line break that flooded 8 cabins. Within 6 hours everything was replaced including the walls.

Possibly Carnival is getting ready to sell this ship since it is their oldest.

As an example, the Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam did not do any refurb for quite some time and then it was sold to the United States Lines and renamed the Patriot. United States Lines spent $26 million but it was used mostly to bring it up to US Coast Guard standards. Now they will have to spend additional to do the asthetics.

Ships wear out faster than hotels.

Sorry I can not be of any further help.

Paul