making reservations for air home after cruise

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our Celebrity cruise in February arrives back in Fort Lauderdale at 7am. We are select Captains Club, so have priority disembarkation.

I need to make reservations to fly back home to DC.
How much time do I need to allow to be safely from ship to airport?

Do you think I can make a 10:40 flight?
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 05:46 PM

It depends how far from the Cruise Port to the Airport.

It is not an International flight.... so the same time limit does not apply... BUT

does the ship just arrive at 7 AM or can you disembark at 7 AM .
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 05:50 PM

The airport is about a 10 minute cab ride from the port.
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

ship arrives at 7am, we will have carryon only so can promptly disembark with our luggage.

I think I should be safe with a 11:15 flight but I'm not sure.The next nonstp flight isn't until 7pm

I'm hoping someone will have experience with port everglades to FLL
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 06:36 AM

I think you should be fine but what day of the week is it? If its a WE then the traffic should be less. In any case it seems like a safe bet. Good luck. Larry
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

it will be a sunday.
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 11:48 AM

Should be fine I think. Cheers, Larry
Hello Percy
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 02:04 PM

If you can truly get off at 7, then it might be doable, but despite the airport being very close to the port, it's a busy little airport. Security lines can be very long. And, anything can happen. When we disembarked at FLL in December, the porters threw a wildcat strike and wouldn't unload baggage for close to 2 hours. We never book a flight out of FLL earlier than about noon.
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 07:35 PM

Hi jacketwatch

Yes, I think kathcoll will be fine in making her flight.

I think you made it with less time in Copnehagen
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 04:12 AM

You have a good memory. Then we were off the ship which docked at 0500, by 0515. I think it was a WE too and we were in the airport in no time it seems.
kathcoll: Hopefully there won't be a wildcat porter strike but if there is then I suppose the flight time doesn't matter. Then its a matter of chance. Anyway I think you will be fine especially as its a domestic flight.
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone - you've reassured me!
Do to multiple factors re:unreliable baggage handling over the years, I've turned into a carry-on only travelor. Last fall we took a 12 day Mediterranean cruise with 4 day pre-cruise stay - with a carryon that met Lufthansa's 17 pound limit. So porter strikes wouldn't be a problem...taxi strikes would be a different story!

There will be a lot of cruise passengers waiting for luggage while we take the cab ride to the airport, hopefully beating the security lines!
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 03:25 PM

I like to know how you pack 16 days in a 17 pound carry on. Please share so we can learn a thing or two on how to pack. I have done a week on a carry on but not 16 days. We travel light, but not that light!
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 01:31 PM

We also live in DC - and the nice thing, you have many options to get home. The one item I lose sleep over is - what happens if there is an issue? The cruise after us got held up clearing customs - and they didn't let any passengers off for a couple hours. Now - I do think that was the exception, and I think you can make your flight, and the best part is if you don't, you'll know early, and you can call them and rebook, because there were lots of options to DC......and, you are my current hero for luggage... I can do a 2 week business trip in one tiny 20 inch roll-on, but I just can't figure out a way to do a cruise in that little.....
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

there are lots of threads here re: packing light.

Actually I have found that I pack mostly the same for a trip of 4 days as for 4 weeks. Usually black slacks and colored tops. I plan to do laundry at least once a week (longer cruises almost always have a bag of laundry special at least once), and handwash underwear, nightgown, and tops. I wear slacks twice. (No different from at home - I wear my work slacks and dress clothes at least twice before dry-cleaning.)

I never pack full-sized toiletries. Sample sized makeup containers are readily available in most malls. One of my 3 ounce sized containers carries concentrated liquid laundry detergent. I've tried those laundry sheets but they don't lather as well when used in a large ziplock bag to hand wash.

I carry my small electronics (ipod, cell phones, kindle reader, camera), Chargers, extra battery for camera, a nightlight. All go in jacket pockets if a carryon personal item is not allowed.

For this trip I packed 3 pair of docker-type slacks (would have added dressy black slacks if the cruise had formal nights), 3 easily hand-laundered tops, 3 tank tops (for formal nights one would be glittery/dressy); 3 sets of underwear; 1 nightgown; a silk pashmina that dresses up any outfit but is also a light weight extra layer; 1 pair of plain black slip on shoes.

I wear jeans and a sweater and my heavier walking shoes. In cooler weather I wear my jacket.I'm always cold on airplanes so I wear layers. (For a Caribbean cruise I'd add my snorkle and mask and two swimsuits!)

I use packing envelopes to compress my clothing and keep wrinkle free. (I've never gotten the hang of rolling clothing and keeping out wrinkles). I always have my travel kit with small first aid pack ready to go.

Oh, and I use a Rick Steves wheelless light weight bag.
I can fit in a portable luggage trolley so I don't have to carry the weight through the airport. So my luggage only weighs 3 pounds. Some "light weight" luggage can weigh 7-10 pounds empty! And I'm a big woman - US size 16 and shoe size 11.