Reload this Page >

Looking for the France on the Norway

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 1999, 10:20 AM
Michael

I am taking a Caribbean cruise on NCL's flagship, the Norway, in Feb. 2000. The main purpose of my trip is to see and experience the S.S. France (the Norway's former name). I am a fan of "old-time" transatlantic travel (I have been on the QE 2 twice and will be going again in July 2000). I know the Norway is no longer the height of taste and elegance as she was from 1962 to 1974 as the France, but does anyone think I'll be severely shocked and/or disappointed? Or is there enough still there to this ocean liner fan?

Old Nov 29th, 1999, 01:40 PM
merriem

I don't want to disappoint you, but it is "in my opinion" a big let down. One good thing, with such a deep draft she rides nicely in the water. Sorry, it was the worst ship we have ever been on.

Old Nov 30th, 1999, 03:23 AM
Renegade4

Hi Michael, <BR> <BR>I have read many posts like the one posted by Merriem about the S/S Norway being a bad experience. I have no desire to start any sort of flame war on this subject so I will just say that my wife and I cruised the Norway twice this year and had very positive experiences both cruises. The Norway is not for everyone. <BR> <BR>We cruised the Eastern Caribbean in January and the westbound transatlantic in August. Merriem is absolutely correct regarding the deep draft contributing to a very comfortable sailing even in the 15-20' seas of the north Atlantic. <BR> <BR>If you are going with the knowledge that the Norway IS an old vessel with her roots set in tradition then, in my opinion, you should have a wonderful time. You will definitely experience much of the original S/S France still present on the Norway. <BR> <BR>The Club Internationale is virtually the same as when it was the first-class smoking lounge on the France. There are many photos and memorabelia(sp?) throughout the ship dating back to the days as the S/S France. The twisty, right-angled corridors, 6-stair towers, 3 of which that only service the lower decks (a left-over from the "class system cruising" days) and the dining rooms with no windows or even port holes (another left-over, this time from the transatlantic crossing days) all make this ship all the more special to someone who is cruising her for what she is. <BR> <BR>There is a hidden area on the Fjord deck that is not on any of the deck plans. There used to be an enclosed court yard for the former first-class cabins. This is where the mid-ship pool was placed. There are two translucent blue panel doors, one on the port side and the other on starboard, that still lead into this area. There is a narrow corridor that surrounds the pool, between the pool and the existing staterooms where you can look into the pool through small portholes purposely built into the pool. <BR> <BR>If you are looking for the decor of the Titanic era ships, you will be disappointed. There is not the extensive wood paneling or grand staircase. There is the 1960's color scheme, futuristic, by 1960's standards, fixtures and enclosed promenades on both sides of the International deck. <BR> <BR>I must admit that I boarded the Norway with a certain degree of trepidation on our first cruise. By noon on the first full day aboard, while we were still getting lost, felt very much at home. <BR> <BR>If you have any specific questions, either post them on this forum or I'll be happy to answer them via email. <BR> <BR>Wishing you smooth seas and gentle breezes... <BR> <BR>R4 <BR>

Old Nov 30th, 1999, 07:45 AM
merriem

Michael, the previous poster had many good comments. I guess what bothered us the most was, if this is the flagship of NCL, why was the ship so poorly maintained. It is a shame to not care for something that there will not ever be another. Have a nice trip.

Old Dec 1st, 1999, 07:50 AM
Hilary

The Norway has just undergone a complete updating with new carpets, etc. throughout. I hear she is spruced up and looking very good. NCL even had her entire hull stripped and repainted! <BR> <BR>I am not a fan of the Norway, being one who much prefers the newer and more modern cruiseships (though not the Vegas style glitzy ones!). However, with that said, I think you will find the SS France in her. <BR> <BR>The pluses for me were: great ports of call; SMOOTH ride; nostalgic feeling of the ship; good shows; good bar service; and inexpensive price. My complaints about her include: lousy service; long buffet lines; not enough seating for buffets; mediocre food; and a musty smelling cabin. I won't even go into how bad our waiter was, but that's the luck (bad luck) of the draw sometimes! <BR> <BR>

Old Dec 1st, 1999, 10:05 AM
Michael

Thanks for the replies! Please keep 'em comin', everyone! Thanks again!

Old Dec 2nd, 1999, 10:51 AM
Joey

Would love to hear more about the Norway!

Old Dec 14th, 1999, 07:30 PM
Michael

More, please! Thanks to all!............

Old Dec 20th, 1999, 11:52 AM
Mary-Agnes

<BR>I was on board many years ago and had a wonderful time...she's a classic! I don't remember the decor; however; when I was aboard in the early 80's it a fun trip!

Old Dec 20th, 1999, 04:47 PM
Mitch

Sailed on the Norway for my honeymoon in <BR>86..as my only other cruise had been on <BR>CCL's original ship the Mardi Gras (anyone remember her?) this was a step <BR>up. I thought Norway was beautiful, and <BR>Club Internationale was breathtaking.Since then I have been on newer Carnival ships and Norway's main <BR>drawback are those dinky shoe-box cabins <BR>in many instances. I see the prices are <BR>very attractive and I would like to sail her again..I would just make sure my cabin was nicer.. <BR> <BR>Mitch

Old Dec 22nd, 1999, 01:18 PM
Michael

Thanks, Mitch, for your response...and, yes, I have booked a large stateroom on the uppermost deck...due to her former status as a transatlantic liner used for transportation, not vacation, the Norway does have some unpleasantly small former tourist-class cabins (which were booked back then by people who just wanted transportation at a low price!)

Old Dec 22nd, 1999, 02:03 PM
Sue

Yes Mitch, I remember the Mardi Gras, it was the first cruise ship that I ever sailed on, way back when. I still have very fond memories of her. We also sailed on the Fair Princess (another oldie, I hear she is in Australia now) Sue

Old Dec 22nd, 1999, 02:08 PM
Judith

Hi Sue, <BR> My husband also cruised on the Fair Princess (1990). Last May, while on the Sky Princess, the captain told us that the Fair had gone to the scrap yard.

Old Dec 22nd, 1999, 02:45 PM
merriem

We said on her when Sitmar was still in business...I think it was the Fairwind. Worst cruise......I am still trying to understand how it got such great ratings. Only good thing....they had good pasta!

Old Dec 22nd, 1999, 02:47 PM
merriem

See what happens when you don't have your glasses on.....I meant to said "sailed"....excuse the typo.

Old Dec 29th, 1999, 11:37 AM
Michael

Happy New Year to all! Happy sailings in 2000!