Late August Alaska Cruise?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are trying to book a cruise for our parents. My dad has just turned 80 and seems to have a bit of a balance issue developing (otherwise, you would think he was in his 60's). I wanted to book a cruise for them in June, but they only had front and back rooms available on the ship. I have heard that it is better to be mid ship for sea sickness issues. We can book a mid ship in late August, is this a good time to go?
can you please suggest some "do not miss" excursions. I don't know if they should do too many.
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 08:14 PM

Late August is a very good time to go. The weather is usually better than. I have done the Alaska cruise many times and late August has always been good. June is actually not such a great time so its just as well you aren't booking it then.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 04:38 AM

June is an excellent time to go, not sure if the above has done that timeframe. I've been to Alaska 26 trips. Late August can run into more rain then May and June. You need to be prepared for a wide range of weather, no matter when you go.

As for touring, you need to pick your cruise first and list your ports. First do your homework, determine your budget and narrow down your interests. There are 100's of worthwhile tours to consider.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 06:58 AM

Yes, I have done Alaska in every month they are offered and as a BC resident have taken advantage of the specials they put on. Also one of my best friends husband was chief engineer on a HAL ship for many years and as far as they were concerned August is the premier month.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 07:09 AM

We did this cruise in late August. Though no one can predict the weather for us the seas were calm. Weather in ports ranged from 70's and sunny to mid 60's and drizzly. Layering your clothing is the way to go. As for location on the ship genreally speaking the lower and more amidships the better in therms of motion sensation. One of the best things about Alaska is the wide variety of excursions one can do so look at what is available in the port stops and pick what you would like to do the most. I suggest seeing an MD B4 you go for motion sickness remedies. There are OTC meds and prescriptions meds too so its best to be prepared with what is deemed the best for your dad. Cheers, Larry.
Hi T69. BTW are you a hockey fan? If so how about that game 7!! Best hockey game I've seen is yrs.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 07:49 AM

Hi Larry

Yes - big time hockey fan - and of course we were cheering for Crosby!!
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 08:02 AM

With the balance issues: is he using a cane? Do you know about 4-point canes, or what are those called? Like a regular cane with 4 tiny legs at the bottom, gives a much better support (I've learned it when I broke my foot)

Also, if the sea is rough, tell him not to go to buffet as the higher you get, the more difficult it is to balance. Restaurants are opened for breakfast and lunch too, he will sit at the table, and a waiter will bring everything for him, less balancing with a plate in your hand.

There will be many people of his age, so he will not automatically get help with the plates and glasses in the buffet.

Also I agree, it's a good idea to visit a doctor before a cruise, maybe a medication for dizziness, even if not a prescription, then an advice what to get OTC.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 03:46 PM

T69: Me too, esp. as the Wings spanked my Blackhawks.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 12:37 PM

Depending on the year and weather pattern, late August weather can go either way. Look at the weather this year. Spring is very late, so would it mean August is warm or is it going to be an early fall?
Best is to be prepared. I am heading up this year in late August. I am bringing rain gear, sweaters, hoodies, neck warmer, toque, gloves, fleece vest, lined jackets. I am also bringing shorts.
Too many excursions, not enough time. that's why people keep heading back. You can enjoy the cruise without excursions but you will be missing lots. Waht excursion to take is all ports dependent. My generic and common suggestions: Whitepass Yukon should be nostalgic. Wild life sighting trips (Bald Eagle, Whale etc) are good too. For the more adventurous (and $$$), there is no replacement for flight seeing. Then you can also do all the simple generic ho hum city (port) tours.
With the megaships and its stabliazers, front, back, it really doesn't matter anymore (with some exceptions). The water is quite calm within the inside passage. It may get rough between Seattle and the BC coast and up north with the open water. Even that is usually not bad.
Bookit, any time is a good time for Alaska, even the winter months. For crusing, only early May and late Sept are issues.
Good luck!