Last minute cruises,,,How? (Paul ?)

Jul 30th, 2001, 05:36 AM
Elaine

Last minute cruises,,,How? (Paul ?)

The cruises we've taken in the past (2 CCL, 1 NCL) were booked way in advance for vacation scheduling and best rates. Now that we are retired we can be 'spur of the moment' travelers..best really because we know how we feel today and who knows what aches and pains will over-take us months from now.
When we were in the boarding lines for one of our cruises the couple in front of us said they called Carnival the day before and got a cabin. Is it hard to find space that late? Would they have gotten a really good deal from Carnival? Is it best to call the line or a travel agent?
Thanks in advance for all replies!!

Jul 30th, 2001, 11:30 PM
Paul Therault

Hi Elaine,

You definitely can get a cabin at the last minute on any cruise line if one is available.

I can not say that the price will be less than the early booking price and no cruise line will tell you what the original price was. Also no travel agent can tell you what the original price was unless he/she booked a client 6 months ago in the same category.

Many people are led to believe that last minute prices are the best since that is what they are told. Some passengers are told that they received an upgrade but was it complimentary or did they pay for it?

I can walk into a carpet store and the salesman can tell me the carpet I like has just been reduced. Should I believe him? I know nothing about carpets. Did I get a deal? Who knows?

Your best bet if you do not wish to take advantage of the early booking prices (which are true reductions) to go with what your budget allows.

Paul

Aug 1st, 2001, 04:20 PM
Beth

Check sites like Spurof.com, VacationsToGo.com, MyTravelCo.com in order to get a feel for what cruises are going for last minute. Then if you still want, use your TA if they can get the same deal.

Aug 9th, 2001, 11:51 AM
janis

I booked a cruise on Sunday and we left the following Sunday. We got a great deal regardless of what Paul says. The only drawback is you won't have as wide a selection of destinations or ships. If you desire a particular ship or destination it might be worth booking in advance but I just picked an area and the site showed me availability.

I used MyTravelCo.com.

Aug 12th, 2001, 10:00 PM
Paul Therault

Hi Janis,

How did you know you received a great deal? You have nothing to compare it to.

Paul