Reload this Page >

Cruising the Caribbean in January

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 10:56 AM
Janelle

We are looking into a 7 day Western Caribbean cruise(Cozumel, Costa Maya, Grand Caymen) leaving on January 13th. Can anyone tell me what the weather is like at that time of year? I am usually cold and enjoy the hot weather (upper 80's or 90's) and want to make sure that I will be warm enough to be out enjoying the sunshine. Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 01:40 PM
Brie

The weather should be plenty warm. Don't worry!

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 03:00 PM
Bruce

Janelle - just to be certain it's warm enough for you, you might want to consider Southern Caribbean cruises leaving either from San Juan or Aruba. A number of lines have ships sailing on either 7- or 10- day cruises from San Juan, and Celebrity has one ship (the Galaxy?) doing 7-days out of Aruba. You'll be guaranteed warm weather. The downside is that it's longer and WAY more expensive to fly to the ports, which cuts into your valuable vacation time and budget.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 01:08 PM
Andy

January is an iffy month- I used to live in FLa and Jan.can be 65-80 during the day--so use that as your guideline-in most instances,when you're in the lower carib (Western Carib) the weather is around high 70's-maybe up to 80--so use that temp as a guide

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 05:54 AM
John

Bruce makes a good point. I don't know where you're leaving from (probably Florida) but your first and last day may be at sea. In January, you may have a 65f degree day and at sea it will seem like 55 degrees. You won't want to lay out and soak up the sun. If you want gaurenteed warm weather from day 1 until day 7, do a southern out of San Juan. I do believe there is a southern out of FLL but its a ten dayer if you have the time.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 08:04 PM
Kris

We went on a 7 day cruise leaving from LA last January. We went to Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta. The only time it was chilly was the first and last day at sea when you were on the deck outside w/ the wind blowing. You could still lay out on the deck in a swimsuit though. <BR> <BR>I remember the water in Cabo being very cold when we snorkeled, but the temperature outside was hot. We were sweating while we shopped. The water in Puerto Vallarta was warm, prob. b/c it was farther south. <BR> <BR>I like hot weather too, and it was definatly hot in Mexico in January.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 12:01 PM
janis

I agree with Andy. I too lived in Florida and took a Southern Carb. cruise in January. I don't know if it's because I'm used to the heat but I thought it was kind of cool. We in FL get cold if it's below 80, you know. If you come from the north though, you'd probably be fine.

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 10:14 PM
Paul Therault

<BR>I envy you guys that live in Florida in the winter. As soon as I step off the plane from up north ..... rejoice ..... I click into summer mode even if it is 65 degrees. <BR> <BR>I made a big mistake once when I took a cruise around Biscayne Bay that left at 3:30PM and lo and behold the sun went down. That brought me back to reality. It wasn't summer after all and it is cold on the water after it gets dark in Florida. <BR> <BR>Paul