Reload this Page >

Karaoke on Cruises?

Search

Karaoke on Cruises?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 06:07 PM
xxx

Karaoke on Cruises?

Does anyone have experience with karaoke on cruises. I have been told that there is not any on Royal Caribbean, but it is available on all Carnival cruises. I suppose I'll get flamed here because a lot of people hate karaoke, but we enjoy it. Thanks for any first had info.

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 06:29 PM
Nanette

The Carnival Holiday did karaoke in the Tahiti Lounge.<BR><BR>I'll admit. The thought of karaoke didn't trip my trigger.<BR><BR>But, after watching for a couple of nights, it became quite fun.<BR><BR>(Do you ACTUALLY go up there and sing???) *grinning*

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 06:44 PM
Barbara

Celebrity also has karaoke. I too think it's fun. I'm not a singer, but on past cruises there are always one or two who can really sing.

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 09:20 PM
Paul Therault

Yes, Royal Caribbean has Karaoke.<BR><BR>It is so popular that on some ships you can not get into the room due to the crowds.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 11:29 AM
frank

The Sun Princess had 2 karaoke nights. I was there both nights as well as the passenger talent show on the last night. You get to sing or whatever with the live band.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 02:43 PM
Elaine

Yes, RC had karaoke..at least 3 times. The first night they spent most of the time encouraging folks to participate, no such problems after that. I think it CAN be a lot of fun.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 02:36 AM
Starfish

Karaoke is a hoot! There are always a couple of people that are really good. You get all types. Saw a guy do Roy Orbison on a 50's 60's cruise and this guy was fantastic.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 05:17 AM
Jimbo

At least 50% of the singers really suck and they are completely drunk. Some people really think that they are good, but they also suck. There are a few people who obviously have done it before and they are only so/so. if you get real lucky, you might get one or two people who are actually good.<BR><BR>I would not suggest skipping any shows or meals to watch karaoke on a cruise ship.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 07:01 AM
linda

The karaoke contest on Voyager was a big deal. They had prelims in the Pig and Whistle nightly .On the last night, there was a "sing-off" on the main thetre stage and prizes for the winners. That part was quite enjoyable- there were some talented singers in the final.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 07:09 AM
Nanette

But Jimbo!<BR><BR>The great fun is watching the people that DO SUCK! If I want to hear somebody good, I'll turn on the radio or listen to a CD.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 01:44 AM
Paul Therault

I'll agree with Nanette. You go to have a good time. It is not a talent show.<BR><BR>The Motown groups on the ships that leave out of NYC are the funniest. Can't get near the room because of the crowds. Go early.<BR><BR>Enjoy,<BR><BR>Paul

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 05:36 AM
Elaine

One more thing. If you are practicing to make your stage debut PLEASE drop The Dance and I've Got Friends In Low Places from your list of possibilites. Those two songs were the most repeated of any, so pick something else!!!<BR>Have fun, and Karaoke definately is. In the car, on the way home from every cruise we've been on, my husband and I practice for the next cruise. We are too chicken though, so we'll keep watching!

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 06:35 PM
Shannon

We just returned from Scandinavia, and took the Silja line from Stockholm to Helsinki and back. They had karaoke, and it was incredibly fun (and funny). Most of the passengers were Swedes or Fins, but they still managed to sing American songs better than I've heard many American sing them. They also sang songs in Swedish & Finish, and you could sing along and learn a new language at the same time. What surprised me is that NO ONE sang any Abba songs! I mean, I was really ready to hear SOMEONE sing "Dancing Queen" like they did in the movie "Muriel's Wedding". Nope, not a taker, but many Frank Sinatra wanna-bees. Even the little kids got up and did it. What a hoot!

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 06:37 PM
xxx

Thank you everyone for your replies. Paul and Elaine, I am so happy you said that Royal Caribbean had karaoke. My husband wanted a cruise that had karaoke and we also wanted to go RC since we had heard such good things about them. I called RC and was told that they did not ever have it except in the children's program on some cruises. We were about to book on Carnival, when I checked replies to my post and saw yours. As a result, I called RC again, got a different agent, who told me that they have it on all cruises! We have now booked on RC. <BR><BR>Nanette, I do not actually get up there and do it. Besides the fact that I cannot carry a tune, I really don't like being in front of a crowd like that. But my husband does it and he is pretty good. (No illusions of being a star - just pretty good for a karaoke singer.) We own a cottage in a resort community about 60 miles from our home and spend a lot of week-ends there and find that karaoke is much more fun in a vacation setting. People have the attitude "I'll never see these people again" and so don't mind being silly.<BR><BR>Thanks again for replies. I'm glad I bookmarked the thread, since the search function seems to be missing tonight. Hope it is not permanent.