Is Celebrity Slipping?

Sep 7th, 2001, 07:58 PM
James

Is Celebrity Slipping?

Have been sailing with Celebrity for years and have been on many other lines but have always preferred Celebrity for many reasons. However on a recent cruise to the Med, I noted some subtle and not so subtle signs of a degradation in service (on Millennium for 2nd time). MAybe it's the Med itinerary where so many passengers leave the ship for so long that the crew get lax but it was worrisome nonetheless. Anyone else noticing that Celebrity is losing it's distinctive edge?

Sep 7th, 2001, 09:49 PM
Paul Therault

Hi James,

I have sailed all Celebrity ships and found exactly what you have stated. I believe they are building too many ships, too fast. They can not find the quality employees and there are not enough of the old employees to spread out among the newer ships. Most cruise lines are having the same problem.

Have you also noticed the food has suffered a bit since Royal Caribbean took over the line?

Paul

Sep 8th, 2001, 04:46 AM
Frank

I believe it also relates to the price war currently going on due to the increased size and number of ships, in addition to the downturn in the economy.

You can't cut prices and expect to keep up the same level of service and food quality. I've noted that there isn't a lot of price difference between RCCL, Celebrity, Carnival and HAL, the lines are blurring. All are offering steep discount from brochure prices. It the trend keeps up, you will basically end up with two levels of cruising, luxury and all others.

Sep 8th, 2001, 04:49 AM
Terrance

I believe they are slipping. We sailed recently on the Millennium and the food was horrible. By the end of the week - the ass't matri'de suggested we order from the children's menu because that food is "prepared fresh at the time of order".

We will take Princess over Celebrity anyday - Princess is very consistent in their quality.

Sep 8th, 2001, 05:09 AM
Andy

Terrence- which itinerary did you do ? Did you try the Olympic restaurant?
Was it good? Asking questions as I will be going in Nov. and was starting to get worried as I went on the Century last year and it was FABULOUS!

Sep 8th, 2001, 05:13 AM
Terrance

We sailed Western Caribbean and my best friend (who has been on 40 cruises) just got back from Europe about two weeks ago. He wasn't impressed at all.

We did not do the Olympic but heard very rave reviews about the restaurant. $25 seemed sort of steep for me but by the time I realized the food in the dining room had gone down - the Olympic restaurant was all booked up for the rest of the cruise.

Sep 8th, 2001, 06:04 AM
Waita

Paul,

I've been reading your other comments on this web site and you were positive about their food. And how can you put Celebrity with Carnival??? What's up??

Sep 8th, 2001, 09:23 AM
James

We were on Millennium! The 1st time we went on her we tried the Olympic... really nice but in the final analysis not worth paying that much extra (especially being a Canuck and using the Canadian dollar at 63 cents!).

Notably, the workers on Milliennium seem not to like the ship either. The kitchen is very far from the dining room so they're less likely to run back to get you that special something for example. Yet our 1st cruise on Millennium was outstanding albeit maybe, and I mean maybe, a slight notch below what we have had on Mercury, Century, Galaxy and Horizon. We are going on the Summit soon so hope it will be OK!

Finally, anyone really familiar with Celebrity will note that the construction standards on the Millie are not up to par with the Horizon or Century-class ships, the latter being built in Germany and the former being build in France (like Mercedes vs Peugot?)

Sep 8th, 2001, 09:24 AM
James

One more thing... I was asked about the food. Generally it was still excellent but service was not as good and on the last formal night our lobster tails were not that good at all!

Sep 8th, 2001, 03:59 PM
Sue

With most travel plans...you get what you pay for. Let's face it, it has gotten extremely cheap to cruise (even if you paid the brochure price, most on the ship did not) and that alone can explain the decline in food and service.

Sep 9th, 2001, 10:32 AM
James

Mabe it's cheap if you're from the USA, but let me tell you, not only do us Canucks not get the same deals (often based on volume and let's face it, NY State alone has more people than all of Canada!), but our dollar sucks. Having said that, I guess if indeed cruising fares have dropped in the USA (the major market), then absolutely, the quality has to suffer.

Sep 9th, 2001, 10:37 AM
James

As one more followup to the comment regarding brochure rates, it was quite on the money so to speak. We paid through the nose for the rearward cabins with the large balconies, while the people next to us from the States, paid peanuts for a lower level outside cabin (no balcony as I recall) and upgraded for a ridiculously low amount of money, something like 20 dollars! When we upgraded from an outside cabin on the side with balcony to the ones with the larger balconies we had to pay hundreds more. And on the Millennium, if you book an outside cabin with balcony on the side of the ship, be prepared, you'll be staring down on top of the lifeboats in most cases... what a stupid design feature... I can only hope that Celebrity goes back to their former ship-building line and designers in Germany (I forget the name).

Sep 14th, 2001, 02:14 PM
Linda

James,
Just returned from my first cruise...on Infinity to Alaska. I hope they are slipping because husband & I were disappointed. Physically ship is beautiful, but service is only ok and if one more photographer tries to take a photo of us with a person in an animal costume as we arrive in port, I'll scream. Food was ok,but I think I'll stay in a hotel on my next vacation.

Sep 16th, 2001, 07:00 AM
web

Meyer Werft built the Century, Mercury & Galaxy. I think RCI is building their ships at MW and building the Celebrity ships elsewhere, Chantiers Atlantique I think, but I'm not sure.
web

Sep 16th, 2001, 01:58 PM
Carson

We were also very disappointed in service and food of Celebrity. The ship was beautiful but everything else was done poorly. We are going back to Princess next time.

Sep 16th, 2001, 11:59 PM
Paul Therault

The cruise lines are going with the shipyards that have the lowest prices.

Chantiers de L'Atlantique (France) is building or has built the European Vision, the European Stars and two unnamed ships of First European Cruises the Celebrity Summit and Constellation, the Coral Princess and Island Princes of Princess Cruise Lines. Unnamed ships are being built for Crystal, Mediterranean Shipping and what will be the largest ship in the world the Queen Mary II of Cunard Line.

Meyer Werft of Germany is building RCCL Billiance of the Seas, Serenade of the Seas and Jewel of the Seas. They are also building the Norwegian Dawn.

Kvaerner Masa-Yards (Finland) is building the RCCL Adventure of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas and most Carnival and Costa ships.

That's all for now.

Paul

Sep 17th, 2001, 09:04 PM
Don

Paul - You didn't say who is building the new Star Princess with Inaugural from Singapore on 2/13/02. ??

Sep 18th, 2001, 07:29 PM
Paul Therault

Gee whiz Bob now you make me post another shipyard. Here goes:

Fincantieri (Italy):

Star Princess, Carnival Conquest & Glory, HAL Zuiderdam (how's that for a name of a ship?), HAL Oosterdam (now they're getting carried away). Three additional HAL unnamed ships (let's play name the ships). An Italian yard building German ships.
Carnival also has one unnamed ship contracted.

The yard is also contracted to build the Costa Fortuna (now we are getting back to Italy) and the Costa Magica.

I suppose I might as well mention the Diamond Princess and the Sapphire Princess will be built by Mitsubishi in Japan (wonder if the ships will look like a car or a VCR).

A tidbit of information .... our U.S owned American Classic Voyages may go into bankruptcy unless the government bails them out (probably because of the unions and their take). They are canceling their two new ship contracts. Too bad, the first two passenger ships that were to be built in the U.S.A.

You will probably see additional contracts broken if the cruise industry does not recover from last week.

Paul

Jan 2nd, 2002, 12:08 PM
carol

We sailed the Millenium in the fall and found the service and food great. I am beginning to think that all of you are too darn picky, and you wouldn't be satisfied no matter what.....CHILL OUT!!

Jan 3rd, 2002, 01:13 AM
Paul Therault

I beleive it all boils down to the fact that people spend their hard-earned money for their vacations and expect everything to be absolutely perfect. This very seldom happens.

Paul

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO