Interesting CruiseCompete user ethics question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw a thread on another board that I thought was interesting. It goes like this.

Poster A claims that he uses CruiseCompete all the time; gets the best price quotes; then has his own travel agent match the price and gives her the booking.

Poster B responds that this is unethical, as the agents working through CruiseCompete invest their time and effort to compete for Poster A's business, do a better job at finding deals for him than his current agent, and yet they get nothing in return. B goes on to state that A should either book with the agent who gave him the lowest quote, or not use the site at all (as he's using it under false pretenses by not intending to book).

So what do you guys thing? Who's right: A or B?

Old Jan 19th, 2006, 08:15 AM

In a perfect world B would be correct but...in a world we live in everyone takes their business anywhere they want.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 08:21 AM

This happens hourly.I use a traditional TA for most of my travel arrangements.I have been in his office when people actually do come and tell him eyeball to eyeball....cars,hotels,cruises,tours, you name it.There are times he will turn business down and tell the "shopper" if thats what they found, book it.But I dont think A is a criminal.He's just trying to get the most bang for his buck.Have you never been to a Target and seen someone having a discussion with a manager that they saw the same item at Walmart for less?It happens.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 08:26 AM

Another common example I've seen is people using places like Expedia, Travelocity, etc to search for cheap hotel rooms. When they find what they want they then call the hotel and book directly and get it for a few dollars less because the hotel doesn't have to pay the search company a commission. Like others said, it does happen.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 08:41 AM

I DO this...because i don't want to use Internet. But no hotel ever got me better deal then Internet, not a cent.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

But do you guys see a difference between searching on an automated web site (at no incremental cost to the company) and asking an agent to invest their time (i.e., a real person trying to make a living) when you don't intend to buy from that source? Or is that just a cost of doing business and they should expect it?
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 08:50 AM

I can NOT believe that anyone can be so sensitive and proper. It is unreal so knock it off! please...
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 08:58 AM

I'm not so sure that A's agent is always successful in getting a "match", are you? Just because a TA calls ABC Cruise Line and says hey my client can get this cruise from CruiseCompete for $200 less than I can, always works.The cruise line is not obligated to match the fare.If you are looking for ethics in the cruise industry, then why is it fair for one agency to have better rates than another?? Why should American Express be allowed to offer discounts when my Mom and Pop agency is not?
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 09:05 AM

And what is this with Seniour Citizens discount...ha? ha? lol, sorry?
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 09:26 AM

I am a Mom and Pop agency. We will not lower our commissions just to compete with the internet. There are also certain types of clients that we prefer to deal with: basically, the ones who value a travel agent's expertise. When someone comes in and wants the cheapest of the cheap, I tell them that there are probably good deals on the internet. I won't waste my time just to be outbid later on...
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 12:28 PM

lol930.....Good for you!! My TA basically feels the same way....He calls the shoppers "weebies"....They call Friday "We be wantin to go to Las Vegas in an hour"...too funny....But you can't bend to every internet junkie....
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Ziana hit on the key question--how "sensitive" is too sensitive? I mean, if you asked a local travel agent to spend hours researching a cruise for you, you wouldn't (I would hope) take her recommendation and buy online to save $50. But what if was $100? $250?

Old Jan 20th, 2006, 05:54 AM

I was in my TA's office one afternoon.This guy walks in.Throws down a Delta Airlines voucher for $20, wants to buy a ticket to Orlando.My TA informs him that there will be a $30 ticketing fee.The guy grabs his voucher and says he guesss he'd be heading to DFW Airport, he didnt want to pay the fee.DFW is 25 miles away.Parking would be at least $5.Standing in line for a half hour? Just to save $30 ticketing fee.......Yes, they would book on line to save $50......Believe me!! I think I heard that American Express charges a fee right up front before they even begin to do research.Then when you plunk down your deposit, they credit your fee into the deposit.Thats not a bad idea.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 06:32 AM

Again, this is from a TA's perspective: say I quoted you a price on a cruise (and if you already knew the ship or cruiseline it shouldn't take hours)and you get a better deal on the internet:

1. Please make sure you are comparing apples to apples ie. THE EXACT SAME CABIN & SAILING. I have lost clients who got "lower" prices than mine but ended up in lower categories. Of course I could have matched or beaten those prices.

2. Please call to let me know that you have gotten a better deal, and how much was the savings. It's very important for me to know why I lost a client. Was it service? price? will you simply not travel at all? I also need to know what my competetors are doing.

3. Believe it or not, I would understand. After all, I'm a consumer too. I like to get the best for my money. Just be upfront about it.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 08:54 AM

I just want to say that if everyone was so decent there would be a Heaven on Earth. But there is imaginary world people live in and trying to get others into...then they go and stuff their luggage with shampoos and towels from hotel rooms.

I called 6 agents for the price and I booked 5 cabins from one. Should all others get together and punch my lights out??? NO! They still emailing me, but they weren't willing to lower their price like somebody here saying...get down to my level...so they are OUT!!!

And please, explain it to stupid me...what 'expertise' travel agent possesing that I have to pay for?
I call with Date, Company, Deck etc. I had done my job...what expertise are you talking about???
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 09:49 AM

Ziana,

About the 5 agencies that are still emailing you- did you have the decency to tell them that you are not interested?

If they won't lower their prices (rebate their commissions), so be it. Don't forget, a business is not run like a charity. We are in it to make a profit.

About the expertise, I was talking about custom trips to Europe, safaris to Africa, that sort of thing. Profitable trips.

It doesn't take much brains to book a cruise...
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 11:00 AM

I am sort of not good with saying 'no' to people so I am waiting maybe some other friends of mine (I have 2 couples in 'thinking' mode) will want to go and I will book them with those TAs.

But anyway...why am I suppose to care about TA? You want to make money...good!
But is it my concern? Think again!!!
You are not THE best - learn how to become one!

I use to work in service and book appointments but did everyone always showed up? hell NO! Was I losing money? Oh, yes!
Have I ever lectured them about not cancelling? Think again...NO WAY!!!

People have rights to be shy about cancelling, forgetting, changing their mind, getting sick, having cramps...whatever. Service is line of business where you SERVE...if there is somebody to be served. And you doing it respectfully - quietly and professionaly. And if you lose you lose.
Can't take it - get out and stay home.

As OP suspected at the beginning
"that just a cost of doing business and they should expect it?"
Right on money baby!!! Right on money!

Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

z:

I agree with you in general. As a customer, I'll always go for the best deal. But two points:

1. As in the first example, I think it's wrong to ask for someone's efforts if you have no intention of buying from them no matter how well they do.

2. There's a difference between getting a good deal because you've done all of the research yourself and the agent just has to process the order, and asking a local agent to invest hours in research, only to have you take her suggestion to another agency.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 08:36 AM

See, this is chance they have to take.

As to "if you have no intention of buying from them no matter how well they do" - it would be cruel, I would say intention can be revised if price is right. Right?

Researching on a trip hardly takes hours. I did my own and I think I know what I am talking about.

I think it all comes to how well you 'clicked' with the agent when you called first. I've got once 'I can't spend anymore time with you - I have to call my husband' and hung up on me. lol

Old Jan 24th, 2006, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Z:

I think we agree. If you're just going to use the agent to get a price for someone else to match it's not right--that's all I'm saying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -