How to effectively stop another person's children from terrorizing the ship

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2005, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have often encountered kids running around the ship and even seen an infant being carried around s hip.

I have young children and I guess that I am raising them differently than others.

Anyway, maybe this thread can become a great resource to cruisers who don’t know how to address issues such as:

1) kids running around the ship, knocking on doors, etc.
2) infants screaming all night long

I am sure that the talented people on this website have polite and effective ways that they have actually used in such situations. Please share.
Old May 14th, 2005, 09:11 AM

when you get the answer, please post! LOL!

On our last cruise last month, it was Spring Break for NY,CT,MA,RI and some of the jr high kids were diving off the pool into the shallow end..(Have no idea where the parents were) but the CRUISE personnel at the ship stopped that immediately..

By the way, it was a Princess cruise..
Old May 14th, 2005, 11:21 AM

Bring my mother in law with you! She has no problem telling children to be quiet, lol Honestly, she scares the heck out of the little buggers when they're really bad, and she even curses too

Honestly though, I would ask them to quiet down nicely first, then tell them I was going to call security, and finally follow through if that didn't work. Thankfully we have never been in that situation yet.
Old May 15th, 2005, 04:33 AM

Unfortunately, ill behaved and unsupervised children are a common complaint. If their behavior is impacting me dirctly - e.g., they are pushing buttons in an elevator I or another guest are trying to use - I will admonish them directly. Otherwise, I report them to the closest staff member, immediately. Depending on the line and the ship, it is either enforced or ignored.

I have been on some sailings where the number of kids running rampant was a real problem. It is unfortunate that there are so many irresponsible parents out there.

I plan my cruises avoiding school holidays and breaks, megaships which attract families with kids and teens, and really prefer lines that do not market to families. I would LOVE to find a cruise line that offers occasional adults only cruise. Celebrity used to but stopped and I think they did a poor job of marketing these cruises. There are lots of adults out there that would prefer to sail without the hassle of kids bothering them I am certain.
Old May 15th, 2005, 08:15 AM

Although Oceania doesn't offer adults only cruises, they have no kids or teen programs, and do not attract families.
Old May 15th, 2005, 01:36 PM

Likewise Seabourn has no programs for children or youth. I have only ever seen two on board, and they were as delightful and well-mannered as their parents.
Old May 16th, 2005, 10:08 AM

I was delighted to discover upon reading two reviews of Holland America Line that their children's programs are not very good (seemed to be the only area where they scored low).

That being said, I would have absolutely no problem to say to the teenagers or parents of children that their behavior was intolerable. I would also call security if I were bothered by a screaming baby or kids knocking on doors. Unfortunately, this is the way many people bring up their children. My children were raised to be ladies & have always made me very proud. But it was a lot of work!
Old May 17th, 2005, 11:57 AM

Oceania and Seaborn are a bit expensive for my budget and I also find the nighlife on these smaller ships to be a bit lacking.

Celebrity and Radiance class seem to work for me and I just try to limit my cruising to when the kids are in school.

Also, the more unusual and longer itineraries are less likely to be overrun with kids.

HAL is a bit too old for my taste.
Old May 18th, 2005, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Some of the responses are great. Others are not as responsive. I understand that one may schedule their cruise to avoid children in general, but I am asking to hear about experiences in specifically dealing with rowdy kids when you encounter them on a ship.

I imagine myself making a comment loud enough for the parents to hear such as "wow, your parents are really on vacation from parenting, aren't they?" But I doubt that I will have the nerve to actually say it.
Old May 18th, 2005, 06:42 AM

Snorkelman,

It makes no difference whether the rowdy kids are on shipboard or in a restaurant - how do YOU deal with rowdy kids anywhere? I would either tell the kids or tell the parents; or in some cases, call security.
Old May 18th, 2005, 08:38 AM

Parents need to control the kids. Just because you are on a ship, it is not a free-for-all. Afterall, good money is paid by pax to have fun and relaxation.

Personally, I would not bring an infant on-board...how would YOU have any fun? Unless you brought a sitter.

Old May 20th, 2005, 04:42 AM

I can tell you that last Xmas RCCL has a curfew for kids under 17 and that was at 1 am. Usually my niece would be just hanging out on a sofa talking with other kids and not doing anything. Yes I know there would be others who would abuse this. What happened is they would go and chat in someones cabin for the night.