how soon to book for Jul 05?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2004, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am traveling with my Mom for her 60th b-day and wondering how soon we need to book for a July 05 cruise to Alaska? I know it's peak time, so am wondering how fast they fill up? Prices seem high now, has anyone booked now and gotten $ back when they discount later?
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 10:19 AM
RBR

The reason that the fares are high now is that the ships are already pretty full. To expect the fares to come down, while it is possible, is more than likley not going to happen. You may have already waited to long.
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 02:06 PM

Are you planning on an inside-cabin for this cruise? Or rather an outside/balcony cabin? If you want an outside cabin then I would agree with 'RBR' in that you may have already waited too long. (Those tend to fill up faster.) And on the issue of availability, I would think that would-be cruisers are looking North rather than the Caribbean nowadays - at least for a while considering the past few months' hurricanes. I'd book now for an inside cabin at the very least. Rebates are not likely for price changes.
Have fun!! We went a few years ago during that time of year - and LOVED the long daylight hours up there!
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 04:04 PM

Book now...!!! I sure hope you can still get a balcony cabin, it's so worth it. You're going to see some magnificent scenery! What a great way for your Mom to spend her birthday!
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 04:22 AM

I also would book now.

If the prices go down, as long as it is before final payment -you can ususally take advantage of the price drop by calling your TA.
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 02:06 PM

All the above posters are correct - book now to get the cabin you want and the dining time. As the year goes on, the price will probably drop and you can take advantage (within the pre-final payment time zone).

We already have 3 cruises (B to B to B) for Oct. / Nov. '05.
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 02:35 PM

Prices may not necessarily drop. You've picked a very popular itinerary that is limited to just a few months out of the year.

Based on what I've read in several sources, the best deals are made when booking early....this isn't necessarily how it use to be but this is what we can expect in the next 1-2 years. The economy is doing well now and people are back to cruising again. After 9/11, the cruise industry was hit so hard that few new ships were ordered Thus, very few new ships entering the market in 2005 yet the demand is high.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 03:45 AM

Alaska has had an oversupply with all the big ships now sailing there. But it pays to be flexable, if you are attached to a particular cabin you may miss out on some deals. Bottom line book now if you know your dates and ship. The keep track of pricing trends YOURSELF, be especially agressive a couple weeks before final payment. Immediately contact your booking agent for an adjustment if the price drops.
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great tips! And, yes, I'm booked!!! Island Princess July 16th - can't wait - booked an outside balcony. We're going to have a great time! Thanks everyone!