Reload this Page >

How safe are the safes on Celebrity Mecury

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2001, 11:04 AM
tannya

Just wondering if the safes on the Mercury are opened with a key or a combo? In the past I never would have worried but recently in my city a Ritz Carlton safe was robbed by none other than the security guy! It was a key safe that had, of course, a master key. <BR>I'm considering leaving nice jewelry at home but would hate to. Any help? <BR>Thanks, <BR>Tannya

Old Sep 11th, 2001, 04:41 PM
Marilyn

The safes are combo but I still do not rec. taking a lot of really good stuff.

Old Sep 11th, 2001, 08:19 PM
aaa

Tannya--I take the "good stuff" all the time --the safes are combonation locks where YOU pre-program your own code--no one else can get in-- <BR> <BR>Don't worry---bring the crown jewels and enjoy dressing up on your cruise-- <BR> <BR>BTW- which city did you lose jewelry at a Ritz Carlton because I leave stuff in my RItz Safe too===Did you get compensated for it?

Old Sep 11th, 2001, 11:09 PM
Paul Therault

<BR>H Tanya, <BR> <BR>The personal safes on the ships are only as safe as you think they are. <BR> <BR>Theft is rare but it does happen. One does not have to be a rocket scientist to break into an electronic safe. If one has the desire, it can be done with a small battery operated electronic box. <BR> <BR>I believe the ship is only responsible for about $100 and the purser's safe for about $500 and you have to prove you had the item/s in there and the value. <BR> <BR>Best to bring your best cubic zirconia. <BR> <BR>Paul

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 03:40 AM
tannya

Thank you all for your input. <BR>To aaa: I live in Naples and it wasn't me that was robbed at the Ritz. I just read it in our local paper. The security guy took a $12,000 diamond ring and a watch and actually pawned them that day. According to the report the ring could not be located by the pawn shop (sounds fishy to me). I never heard an update as to the outcome and how the lady was compensated by the Ritz. <BR>Tannya <BR>

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 07:46 AM
aaa

Tanya- thanks for the answer on the RItz in Naples--that is usually the one I stay at year after year--Yikes,guess I wear the stuff to the pool rather than storing in the safe! Thanks for the heads up--I REALLY appreciate that! <BR> <BR>Rex- what kind of electronic box are you talking about? I was always told I was the only one with the combo--Can you explain how it works? Thanks!

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 02:21 PM
Gail

Security can always get into the safe. One time a combination safe in my room malfunctioned and I couldn't open it(I had set the combination). Security came in and opened it in seconds.

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 09:38 AM
Andy

Guess that means that SECURITY people on the ship must be honest--Does anyone know if they are bonded? <BR>Thanks-

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 09:45 PM
Paul Therault

<BR>You should all realize how may false claims are made by passengers on ships. This is the reason the cruise lines are hesitant to pay claims. <BR> <BR>Some passengers lose items on tour or out of their pockets and claim they are lost out of the ship's safe or have simply misplaced the items. <BR> <BR>The security people do not open the safe, just an officer of the ship. They, of course, are not bonded. <BR> <BR>As I stated above, do not bring anything of great value. <BR> <BR>You can also make a claim with your homeowners policy but those policies have a limit on most items and you would have to pay the deductible. <BR> <BR>Paul