Reload this Page >

How do you decide on which Alaskan cruise /tour

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Fairhope

It gives me a headache looking at ALL the possibilities!!
Here are my issues/criteria:
I get seasick in my bathtub!but I want to see glaciers
I want to go on a train
I want to see animals with their heads on! not on a wall.
I want to fly over something--I love helicopters and small fixed wing ac
Food is not a big deal.
I can walk but I can't run.
I could stay in a cabin
I won't ride a horse
I like to be told what I am seeing.

Old Jan 11th, 2005, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any major cruiseline will fit this. But any wildlife viewing will require a tour. The best for land animals is Denali Park- with a good pair of binoculars getting far into the Park. Do your homework and research fully, the more you know the better. Scenic rail- regular run of the Alaska RR Seward/Anchorage, White Pass RR out of Skagway. Choose a ship sailing Glacier Bay. Consider a helicopter glacier landing- I like Coastal out of Juneau AND Misty Fjords float plane out of Ketchikan especially if you have gone in one. I have flown with Carlin Air, Southeast Aviation, and Island Wings.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 10:06 AM

If you care about food quality, check Celebrity's cruises. Also, the Summit had almost no noticeable motion when we took it.
If you are planning a post cruise tour, some of the other cruise lines have been in the Alaskan business longer and, I've read, have better tours.
I would take a one-way tour, ie Vancouver to Anchorage. You see more (but the airfare may be more).
I would start in Vancouver. If you start in San Francisco, you are spending too much time getting to Alaska.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 10:55 PM

There is NO GUARANTEE of "no motion". I still recommend taking precautions if prone to motion sickness. And you need AT LEAST 5 extra days independent or 7 with any cruisetour. NO major cruise goes to Anchorage- it's eiter Whittier or Seward and I give a big edge to Seward- but take advantage- don't be a visitor that just passes through.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 03:08 AM
Fairhope

What about this on Holland America

Day 1 Sail from Vancouver
Day 2 Inside Passage Cruising
Day 3 Cruising of Tracy Arm & twin Sawyer Glaciers / Juneau
Day 4 Disembark for an extra day in Skagway; meet Tour Director; Afternoon tour.
Day 5 Transfer to White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad travel to Fraser. Take luxury motor coach to Whitehorse; Afternoon city tour (lunch included).
Day 6 Luxury motor coach on Alaska Highway, past Kluane National Park to Beaver Creek; Yukon Roundezvous Dinner Show.
Day 7 Luxury motor coach on the Alaska Highway to Fairbanks.
Day 8 Extra day for Riverboat Discovery III cruise; Gold Dredge No. 8 Tour
Day 9 McKinley Explorer luxury rail to Denali National Park. Tundra Wilderness Tour
Day 10 Morning at Leisure. McKinley Explorer luxury rail to Anchorage; Tour Director departs
Day 11 Transfer to the Anchorage Airport, Depart for home

Old Jan 12th, 2005, 07:35 AM

My opinion only- these HAL tours that start/end in Skagway have way too much boring bus riding. I have driven this and by far other areas of Alaska are more scenic. It looks also like Kluane activites are very basic- it is a completely undeveloped area, same with the Beaver Creek option. So I would definately research what is going to be available for you in these locations. I don't like these due to missing out on a port in Alaska or a glacier sailing day. The 7 day cruises are excellent loaded with a good mix of touring and scenery. I have seen the people get on the ship in Skagway- with their tongues hanging out - I haven't heard a lot of raves.