Search

Honeymoon Cruise - now I'm concerned

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon Cruise - now I'm concerned

Hi folks,

My new hubby and I will be cruising in December on Crown Princess for our honeymoon. I'm a little concerned after reading some less-than-happy reviews of the ship. Can some more folks give some tips on to-dos (eat here for breakfast, skip that show, grab a pool chair at XXX location, etc). We're in a mini-suite and hoping to have a good time.

We're in our late 20s, love great food (and are used to an abundance of it in NYC) and are beach-seekers/sun-seekers.

We know we'll have a great time anyway because it's our honeymoon, but please, share those honest opinions so I can be informed (and contact our travel agent to re-evaluate if necessary.)

Thanks in advance,
Darby
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 10:11 AM

Happy honeymooning!! We all research and choose a particular cruise line and ship for a reason. Can you share with us why you chose that line and ship or was it the itinerary, timing etc.?
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 10:53 AM

No matter what cruise line you pick, you will always find some negative reviews. Just go into it with an open mind and form your own opinions. I read a review once where the person's bed was against one wall, so he was 'forced' to use the other side, and the cruise line logo rug in front of the vanity was turned the wrong way. And he was serious! Too funny. So take all reviews with a grain of salt.
Obviously you picked this ship and intinerary for a reason - so don't worry about it.
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

We booked through a travel agent, and she said the ship was gorgeous. She also spoke highly of the food. We enjoy hanging out and reading by the pool, beaches/excursions, dinner and dancing in the evening, etc. We don't drink to excess, we aren't rowdy, and part of what appealed about this cruise was the seemingly more refined clientele. We hated Sandals (went over 3+ years ago and NEVER again) and while we enjoyed RCCL, we hoped Princess would be a higher-end version of that experience.

I appreciate the encouragement - the negative reviews can seem overly picky, but you know how it can be when you are looking forward to a vacation and someone tells you how awful his experience was.

Thanks, and keep the advice coming, esp those who have cruised Princess before,

Darby

We also had a pretty set timeframe during which we could go due to our careers.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 11:49 AM

I would think if you found the food not to your liking at Sandals (I have been there about a dozen times) then you will not be wowed by cruise line food. I find the food better at Sandals than on many lines/ships.

My suggestions: Splurge on the Sanctuary so you have some adult quiet time, book both specialty restaurants for a more intimate dining experience, enjoy the greats port of call on this cruise.

I sincerely believe that the food you will find aboard will not compare to NYC food, as I from there and just returned again last night from my latest visit and really, really miss the quality and variety of food.

Do not expect gourmet, as they are cooking for 3100 people on that ship, which is very large and has a lot of passengers for the size.

The Horizon Court (buffet) on Crown Princess gets consistently poor ratings. Personally, I always stick to the dining room for breakfast and lunch because I do not enjoy quantity over quality and because I find most buffets crowded and unpleasant. You can only get a continental breakfast served in your cabin but, enjoy coffee on your balcony for some relaxation and privacy.

They also offer an Ultimate Balcony Dinner for $50 per person which you may want to consider.

Old Oct 25th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. We'd welcome anyone who's been on the Crown Princess to give their opinions, and we'll keep up on the cruisecritic.com reviews too.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 04:48 AM

Darby, understand that food is one of the most subjective areas of cruising and you will read reviews that rave and those that rant, all concerning the same ship, same sailing date.

You are booked and committed so I say go with realistic expectations, enjoy the great food in the ports of call and have a wonderful honeymoon.

We are also cruising for our honeymoon in December and cannot wait...it is a great season for the Caribbean.