Holland vs. Princess

Jul 27th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Holland vs. Princess

Help! I have never cruised but have been charged with planning a cruise for 14 people for my parent's 50th anniversary! We will have 13 adults (27-74 yr old) and one 2 year old. Everyone wants to see beautiful scenery, glaciers and wildlife. My parameters - Inside Passage, 7 days, roundtrip from Seattle or Vancouver. I have it narrowed down to two itineraries:

1. Roundtrip from Seattle on Princess - Golden Princess. This goes to Tracy Arm but not Glacier Bay or Hubbard Bay.

2. Roundtrip from Vancouver on HAL - Zuiderdam. This goes to Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay.

I am torn between the larger Princess ship (more stable, less sea sickness?) but it seems to have the least desirable itinerary or the smaller HAL ship with the better itinerary.

I am hoping all you cruise veterans can help me.

1. Which would you suggest?

2. Are my fears of the stability of the HAL ship unwarranted (it holds 1916 passengers and weighs 85000 tons)?

3. Is the route from Vancouver smoother, even on a smaller ship?

4. Does anyone know about the planned renovations to the Zuiderdam? I assumed it will be like going on a new ship?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated! I don't want anyone to have a very expensive cruise ruined because I picked a ship that will make people more prone to being sick!
Jul 27th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Sorry! Didn't mean to post twice in same forum!
Jul 27th, 2008, 11:04 AM

Don't worry about the stability on the HAL ship; I've been on much smaller and didn't get seasick. I'm a Princess cruiser, but in this case I think you should take the smaller ship because of the itinerary. What you really should looking at is what each ship offers onboard - will be there enough to interest all your age groups? Another item to consider is airfare, if you live in the US it will be cheaper for you to fly to Seattle than Vancouver.
Jul 27th, 2008, 11:44 AM

We cruised on the Zuiderdam last December (in the Caribbean) and spent a scary night in "hurricane" Olga without being sick.

We have cruised the inside passage on Royal Caribbean and I don't think there is much danger of seasickness there - the seas never got very rough. I think all of the large cruise ships are very stable.

We knew about the planned renovations on the Zuiderdam, so it should be just like brand new!! We have sailed both Princess and HAL - I personally like HAL a little better.
Jul 28th, 2008, 04:27 PM

There will be upgraded cabins as well as public spaces. New carpet, upgraded bathrooms, updating the restaurants,etc. It is being drydocked during April for the entire month. When are you planning your cruise? It would be nice to work out the kinks of a new, upgraded ship before embarkation. For your age group, both Princess and HAL would be terrific - go with the itinerary that you prefer. Let me know if you need more info.
Jul 29th, 2008, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the wonderful advice! We will be cruising July 2009. Are all of the cabins upgraded or just some? If so, do you know how we find out which ones are so that we can ask for them (seems it would be an advantage of early booking)
Jul 29th, 2008, 07:47 AM

Early booking is always a plus. I book many group cruises to Alaksa - it's important with groups to cross all your t's and dot all your i's! It's a big undertaking for one person - happy to assist you if you want! All cabins will have upgrades to them, also new spa, new carpet and flooring.
Jul 29th, 2008, 08:14 AM

By far your best choice is HAL for the itinerary, which is a priority for many people sailing Alaska.

I replied to you on CC with the unfounded ship size comments and your needing to consider the route.

Especially with a glacier priority you do not want Princess with only Tracy Arm, and also because of the roughest sailing route.