Holland America to Alaska out of Seattle end of August

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2023, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is our second cruise (first was in caribbean) and we aren't familiar with Seattle.
1 We're flying in the day before the cruise leaves. It's .5 miles from our hotel to Pike Place Market. Think its safe for my husband and I to walk there? Any recommendations?
2. On the cruise we'll make a stop at Icy Straight Point from 6 to 10pm. I heard there's a gondola we can take part way for free and then walk back down. Are there any free shuttles around town?
3. We also stop at Sitka from 8 to 4. Any free shuttles there?
4. We also stop in Victoria from 8pm and midnight. We were considering walking to Beacon Hill Park but won't it be dark by 9 or 10pm?
5. The ship is supposed to return to Seattle at 7am. Anyone know what time we can actually expect to disembark? I'm trying to schedule a rental car to go visit Mount Rainier and spend the night. And I'm thinking taxis will be available at the pier? or maybe it is better to take the Seattle Express bus?
6. I'm thinking of returning to Seattle the evening after the second day of visiting Rainier and spending the night near the airport and somehow get our luggage stored and take the light rail to Pike Place Market (in case we don't make it in step 1 above). Unless it would be better to keep the rental car and drive to the market.
Thank you.
Old Jun 15th, 2023, 04:50 AM

Do you know about www.cruisecritic.com? You will probably have better luck with answers there.
Old Jun 15th, 2023, 07:26 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
This is our second cruise (first was in caribbean) and we aren't familiar with Seattle.

1 We're flying in the day before the cruise leaves. It's .5 miles from our hotel to Pike Place Market. Think its safe for my husband and I to walk there? Any recommendations?

Yes. Downtown will be full of visitors. Try to get to the market as early in the day as possible; breakfast is ideal. By 10 or 10:30 AM the market becomes horrendously crowded.

2. On the cruise we'll make a stop at Icy Straight Point from 6 to 10pm. I heard there's a gondola we can take part way for free and then walk back down. Are there any free shuttles around town?

Can't help with that. See this:
Icy Strait Point Gondola/Tram tickets - Alaska - Cruise Critic Community

3. We also stop at Sitka from 8 to 4. Any free shuttles there?

Apparently yes. FAQ: Getting Around Town - Visit Sitka

4. We also stop in Victoria from 8pm and midnight. We were considering walking to Beacon Hill Park but won't it be dark by 9 or 10pm?

Yes. Sunset on Sept.1 is 7:56 PM

5. The ship is supposed to return to Seattle at 7am. Anyone know what time we can actually expect to disembark? I'm trying to schedule a rental car to go visit Mount Rainier and spend the night. And I'm thinking taxis will be available at the pier? or maybe it is better to take the Seattle Express bus?

Yes, there will be taxis at the cruise terminal. I'd expect most disembarkations fo be finished by 9 - 9:30 AM, maybe 10:00. There are several downtown offices of major rental car companies, but be aware that if you plan to drop the car at the airport, it's commonplace that the rental companies add (very high) one-way drop-off fees. It might be better to go to the airport and get the car there. You'd be closer to Mount Rainier that way anyway. You will need reservations for lodging near Mount Rainier, and you're already late in getting something booked. Make that job no. 1.

6. I'm thinking of returning to Seattle the evening after the second day of visiting Rainier and spending the night near the airport and somehow get our luggage stored and take the light rail to Pike Place Market (in case we don't make it in step 1 above). Unless it would be better to keep the rental car and drive to the market.

The Pike Place market shuts down by 5 or 6 PM (not the restaurants and bars, of course.) I don't think visiting in the evening after Mt. Rainier would be very rewarding, car or no car. Whether to keep the car overnight or return it depends on budget and when your flight departs the next day.

A couple of other things: First, if your visit includes the Labor Day weekend, a huge arts and music festival, Bumbershoot, at Seattle Center (Space Needle etc.) will bring hundreds of thousands of people to the center.

Second, Mount Rainier can become very congested on weekends. If it was me I'd probably have a "Plan B" in my pocket.

Enjoy your visit.
Old Jun 15th, 2023, 07:46 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Just very quick:

"2. On the cruise we'll make a stop at Icy Straight Point from 6 to 10pm. I heard there's a gondola we can take part way for free and then walk back down. Are there any free shuttles around town?"

Icy Strait Point isn't a 'town' . It is basically 5 or 6 buildings. (the village of Hoonah is about a mile south but the cruise ship stop at the Point and you likely won't have a reason to go there). You take the shuttle bu up to the top of the zipline. When you get to the bottom you are about a 90 second walk from the main complex.
Old Jun 15th, 2023, 08:13 AM

The stop in Victoria is a throw away because they have to include one Canadian port on these round trips out of Seattle.

They may have some ships tours to Butchart Gardens which they keep open for the tour companies. They probably are $$$ but I understand the gardens are lit up at night. If you've got money or OBC to burn, that may be worthwhile.

If you are not into paying for ships tours, I would just go to the waterfront around the Empress Hotel. I was able to walk although at night maybe a taxi a better idea.Victoria has a population of "unhoused" like most major cities in BC.

I believe Uber has started up but it's been controversial.
Old Jun 15th, 2023, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

katybird: thank you I will check out that link.
Old Jun 15th, 2023, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Gardyloo: thanks so much for the detailed answer. The market info helps. If I can't visit the Market on the front end I may return the car the day of our flight out and plan on catching the Link light rail to the Market for breakfast. Fortunately it's not Labor Day weekend. I do have a room in Packwood and was just planning on getting up early on Sunday and then hope Monday will be better. But I'll search the area for any other hikes I can find.

janisj: ok thanks we'll try to visit Hoonah

mlgb: right, I don't think the gardens are even listed as an excursion and the choices that are listed don't sound appealing so we'll just try to stick with the populated areas. The time frame is disappointing but we did book late ... due to some circumstances beyond our control. We'll enjoy anything that gets us away from the summer heat here in Texas. Thank you.

Thanks everyone - I'll keep working on the plan with your tips and links.
Old Jun 15th, 2023, 09:39 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Phototaker
. . .

janisj: ok thanks we'll try to visit Hoonah . . . .
You aren't in port that long (I'm sort of surprised at that -- we were there nearly 7 daytime hours but you are there at night). There is a shuttle bus into the village but just the zipline excursion alone will take at least 1.5 hours. Then you'll be walking distance to the yummy Crab House or one of the other restaurants, a museum and some shops (IIRC the shops were no great shakes)

In Hoonah the main thing and great IF they are performing is the Huna Tribal House.
Old Jun 17th, 2023, 12:15 PM

No local crab this year due to closure of the Alaska crab season.

https://www.seafoodsource.com/nation...survey-results
Old Jun 17th, 2023, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Oh dear. So sad.
Thanks for the info.