Reload this Page >

Holiday 'holiday'?

Search

Holiday 'holiday'?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 03:45 AM
Elaine

Holiday 'holiday'?

Hi out there! Hoping to get some feed back on the Holiday. We are thinking of a 5 day cruise out of NO this fall (some good rates available) but hope to hear some opinions first since this is an older Carnival ship. Thanks in advance!!

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 05:31 AM
Cheryl

We took a week long cruise on the Holiday from San Juan November 24, 2001. It was going to dry dock the weekend we got back to port...and none too soon. We had to have water suctioned from our carpet three times from leaks from our water pipes. There were four cabins that kept our cabin steward busy the whole week. If it wasn't in our cabin, it was in one of the other three, or in the carpet between the four cabins. The ship was full so we couldn't switch cabins. We wouldn't walk barefoot in our cabin, the carpet just felt damp and musty. We were given a bottle of wine at dinner one night to help make up for it (1 out of the 3 of us drank) and were given a 15% off coupon for another cruise within the next 18 months. If you haven't cruised before, it would be okay....provided they fixed the problems with the water. But if you have, it is a much smaller ship. It doesn't have a main atruim like the rest of the fleet. We mainly chose that ship for the islands (6 islands in 6 days). Our next one will be on a newer, larger ship.<BR><BR>Cheryl

Old Sep 14th, 2004, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We went on the Holiday for Christmas 2003 and I learned a lesson. Take a newer ship. Although it had supposedly been remodeled and had just come out of dry dock, we had problems the whole trip. The pools leaked and were never opened! Needless to say our kids were disappointed. Days at sea without one pool opened!! Large areas of the ships closed due to leaking. There were towels on wet carpet outside of rooms. Yellow caution tape around rooms with fans blowing to try to dry it up. Only 2 flat basketballs on the deck. Dirty, spotted windows on the main deck. The engine was noisy and didn't sound right. I could go on with more details and I am not exaggerating. The staff at the desk acted liked every day they would open the pool or that there really wasn't a problem. Never any attempt to give you something to make it up to you. Just in case you think we're used to being pampered, we also love to camp, etc. My advice would be to learn as much as you can about the ship beforehand and how old it is should be an important consideration!
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 11:21 AM

Sorry to hear the bad news about this ship. I sailed her and her sister ship (Jubilee) both in the past... but that was years ago.

Two things I've noticed over the years is that the ships that have the most &quot;special&quot; offers have them for a reason. They are no longer popular for SOME reason, i.e. condition, crew that has lost interest,etc.

And, when a cruise line has determined that it's going to retire a ship, the maintaince goes down hill and you hear stories like this. I don't know that Carnival is retiring this ship, but lets see if the pattern holds true. I'll bet it wont be long and she'll be sold off and replace with one of the newer ships.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 02:36 PM

Had fun on this ship because we were with friends BUT this ship is not in good shape, tiny cabins, mediocre food, shopworn throughout. I would not recommend it to anyone except maybe party-hardy college kids who don't care.