Has anyone used a Relief Band?

Oct 10th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone used a Relief Band?

Has anyone used a Relief Band to prevent sea sickness, and if so, did it work? I have always taken medications for sea sickness, but would rather use the relief band if possible. Thank you for your help.
Oct 11th, 2008, 06:26 AM

I assume you mean the same thing as is also called Seabands - they are elastic and have a little knob that is supposed to work by putting accupressure on a specific point in the wrist.

I have used them and they worked - problem is that they worked just as well when the little know was pressing into the correct point as when they slipped and it was pressing into some random point on my wrist. I know much of my motion sickness is in my head, so maybe that was just me.

If you are concerned about seasickness, I would take these bands and a variety of OTC and perhaps prescription remedies - what works for someone here may nto work for you.
Oct 11th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

The relief band I have in mind looks sort of like a watch band except it gives off a pulse or a tingeling at the wrist. It runs on batteries. I would like to hear from someone who has used one. Thanks gail for your input.
Oct 11th, 2008, 10:33 AM

I have used a Relief Band but do not know if that was what worked or not. We were on a really rough cruise, and I used Bonine, the relief band, and one of the things that does little shocks to the wrist. Talk about over kill, but I did not get sick. I've read the warning on the prescription patches and decided to never use them. So as Gail said in the above post, go prepared with different methods.
Oct 23rd, 2008, 03:36 PM

Try Ginger. It's natural and works. The Chinese has been using it for thousands of years.
Oct 27th, 2008, 09:04 AM

Hi,

I have wrist bands that use acupressure and they work well for me, but the point is well made that they can slip. They aren't the most stylish wrist wear, but whatever? I like them because I don't have to take any additional medication and am willing to put up with the fashion faux pas. Apple juice and saltine-type crackers (or white bread) work really well on seasickness. Have had great success on my cruises.

Have a great day!
Julia
Nov 11th, 2008, 10:34 AM

I got horribly seasick on a catamaran from Halifax to Bar Harbor and sent my husband into the gift shop to buy the little bands with the buttons on them. I was so sick I would have had to crawl there if he hadn't been available. The bands worked within two minutes. I never get seasick on a cruise ship but can on a ferry or small ship, so I always have them in my travel bag.
Nov 11th, 2008, 12:09 PM

I have used the battery powered ReliefBand and it absolutely worked for me.
Nov 12th, 2008, 02:54 AM

In parts of the health care industry, the Seabands are considered a placebo, that do work for some.

Problem is, you won't know until you try it for yourself. You may want to consult your health care professional for more advice, and if you do get the band, try out a short test case first, if you can get access. Sometimes there is a cross over with car sickness, a friend of mine, tried out a suggestion by sitting in the back of a van and reading, while going down a curvy hilly road, with good results that continued on his water trip.