Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Has anyone missed a sailing because of an airline delay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2003, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to find out how the cruise lines would handle getting passengers to the ship once it has sailed. The fine print in the brochure states that they are not responsible, even if they have arranged the air trans.

We missed the first day of a land tour because of bad weather at our connecting airport, and we were pretty much on our own to meet the tour.(Not a cruise package) Also, there was a problem finding a flight, because most flights are now running at capacity.

Can anyone share their experience? It could help a lot of us.
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 09:47 AM

My limited knowledge of this (I hope you get many other responses) is that if you booked Insurance (CSA for example) they will reimburse you about $300 per person to get yourself to the next port. Otherwise, as far as I know, you are on your own completely, they all seem to be "not responsible."
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 10:06 AM

usually your travel agent can work wonders--- this happened to friends of mine who missed their connection to Miami and did miss the initial sailing of the cruise...

The AIRLINER has the obligation of getting you to the next port---not the cruise line- although they do try to help a little...ALL this will be done IF you purchase your air thru the cruise line....My friends were overnited in Miami at the cruise lines expense and the airlines got them to the next port in the Dominican Republic..and the cruise line also transferred them to the ship from the airport in the DOM REP....

If you purchase the air ON your own- then you are literally ON your own and will have to beg the airlines for their help...just scream loudly!
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 08:54 PM
Bo

Book airfare on your own, go down a day early, use Priceline/Hotwire for a hotel.

Get a good nite's sleep and board the ship relaxed!
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 05:52 AM

When you purchase an airline ticket,ANY airline ticket from any source,the airline's obligation is to get you to your "destination".Your "destination" is where the airline will fly you.Let's say you buy a ticket to Miami so you can take a cruise to Nassau,St.Thomas San Juan and back to Miami.As far as the airline is concerned,your "destination" is Miami.If you purchase your airline ticket thru the cruise line,AND purchase the insurance,most of the time the insurance will cover any delay in getting you to the port of embarkation.This delay would be mechanical,weather,strike,etc., but not if you missed your flight because you didnt get to the airport on time.The insurance usually offers about $500 per person allowance to catch up with the ship.To catch up with the ship,you would have to purchase new tickets and then once you returned from the cruise file a claim and be reimbursed.Cruise lines offer the Air-Sea Package as just that, a package, a convenience.Nowadays the airfare offered by cruise lines tends to be much hugher than you can get on your own.This is due to the fact that airfares with cruise lines are negotiated rates that are set for an entire year usually by the end of October for the upcoming year.Since airfares can fluctuate with the wind you can usually get a better deal on your own.
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 06:33 PM

A friend of mine booked air through the cruise line. Their connecting flight was canceled due to mechanical difficulties. The airline sent them to Miami (cruise out of Fort Lauderdale). They arrived in Miami after the ship left and the airline did nothing.

They bought tickets to Eluthera (Princess Cays) from Miami for about $300 pp and picked up the ship the following day. They did get their money back via insurance.

I always fly in the day or two before.
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 11:30 AM

I totally agree, fly in the day before. However, last November our NCL ship was an hour late departing from San Juan because they held the ship for 10 delayed passengers. The captain came on the intercom to explain the delay.
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 05:57 PM

It's well worth the extra to fly in the day before. If you're depending upon travel insurance to cover and contingencies, be sure to check the actual policy (not what the person selling it to you tells you) for coverage, and, more importantly, exclusions.
Old Oct 18th, 2003, 05:54 AM

I agree with Bo-arrive a day early. This approach should not cost you any more money. My experience is that if air is arranged by the cruise company it is consideraly more expensive than the fare that you can get on your own. The routings are hit a miss, ie you often get the routing that they give you, not the one that you may want. What you save on the air will more that pay for the hotel. And book both on line!