Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Has anyone ever disembarked early from a European cruise?

Old Jan 15th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking forward to a cruise in May 2004. We are to disembark in Dover, England, however the night before we leave from the last port of Le Havre, France. We would like to disembark there in France. We've been told we can't. When asked why we have received a variety of answers: the Coast Guard won't allow it; the French government won't allow it; there are security concerns, etc. They are not sure if it's the US Coast Guard or if France has one. I've called the French Embassy and they say it's alright to get off in Le Havre. And security, if I was trying to get on and off at a bunch of different places or doing it subversely I could understand it. But I'm not. I have been on 6 other cruises and I have seen people get off early. Has anyone done it recently (i.e. after 9/11/01)? What cruise line have you done it on and where (US or abroad)? Thank you in advance for reading this and answering. By the way, we are currently waiting for a response by the legal department of the cruise line.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 06:47 PM

I have never done this,but if the legal department from the cruise lines ok's it,then go for it...
Otherwise, you will hold up a cruise line needlessly while they look to see if they left you anywhere...
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 05:14 AM

Annie...which cruise line and which sailing?
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 08:47 AM

Annie, the only thing I could think of why you couldn't disembark early would be an immigration problem. Maybe some agreement the cruise line has with France.

If this were the problem, I don't see why it couldn't be solved. Task the cruise line to solve it. Contact the French Embassy or Consulate in the U.S. and ask some questions. Be persistent and don't take NO for an answer.

You go girl!!!
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 02:29 PM
esd

I asked my TA this same question. We were looking at a relocation cruise to the Med and the next to last stop is my husbands home town which we'd have to travel back to the next day anyway. She said some lines will let you and some won't and that it is up to the captain in any event. A request would have to be made to him. AND she thought there was a fee involved too. I guess they have to get a custom official to come and clear you off the ship which is a different procedure than just a day-in-port type stop.
Good luck. If you find out more or anything different, please let us all know!
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 04:52 PM
esd

I meant to say reposition, not relocation. Oooops.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 02:19 AM

We were on a RCCL cruise last May and a gentleman wanted to get off early. They charged him $100 because they had to have the custom official clear him.