group cruise using carlson wagonlit

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2006, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone ever had problems with group travel with Carlson Wagonlit ?

We had a big group (61 people) cruise Alaska Inside Passage and used a travel agent with the Carlson Seattle office. We get 1 free berth (passenger) for every 12 paying passengers. All 61 paid, and we get the money back after the trip. 3 days before the cruise, the TA said, we get 1 free for every 16, insisting that that was the number we have been discussing. I don't know where that number came from since 16 was never mentioned at all. The dispute was settled by using points the group earned to buy 1 free per 12.
Now that we're back, the TA mailed the check, then promptly put a "stop pay" on the check and sent another check for a much less amount.
Needless to say, this is the last dealing we'll ever have with that TA and with Carlson. But I've been wondering if this has ever happened with other groups. They have lost our business forever, if this dispute does not get settled according to our agreement. The group plans a cruise or tour every year.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 06:11 AM

Usually you get 1 free berth for every 16 people (or 8 double cabins). It might be some mistake or misunderstanding about 1 for 12. But if this is what was promised to you in writing, I think you may have grounds to dispute. If you want a real good agent for your future cruise, contact my Cruise Value Center agent Alex at [email protected]. He does group cruises too. Tell him spur sent you.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 10:23 AM

The above has always been the group rates, 1 free for every 8 double cabins booked. It has never been 12 people???

I would also assume you have something in writing??? Refer to it for clairfication.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 12:20 PM

Hi ,it seems agents and the withholding of credits is a common problem. I am not going to recommend the agency that spur just suggested as I am in fruitless contact with them now, trying to get some documention Prior to my cruise which has already been fully paid for. I was offered a huge onboard ship credit from them when booking through Cruisecompete, but to date after 6 e-mails, noone has beeen willing to provide anything in writing. I do have the quote in which the offer was made, but having heard about many agents who renege on their promises I would like to take something from the internet agency with me onboard indicating I have a shipboard credit. Never mind the 3 day getaway which was also part of the offer, I really am not going to be bothered to argue about that as the shipboard credit is far more important

We cruised S.Carrib. in 2005, 29 of us and while not with your agent, we used another TA and our perk was the free cabins cost would be deducted upfront from all the bookings equally. At payment time it never happened. After much acrimony between TA and all of us we just gave up. Good luck.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 02:34 PM

In the interest of being fair, just an update to let you know that I did finally get to speak to someone who was interested in looking at my file and while he confirmed that it says I have a credit , nothing will be in writing. So heres hoping we do get it this time.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Original Poster

Fortunately for us, we have all the emails that transpired, and we have 1 free per 12 in writing. The TA was so incompetent, it was comical. I have many stories to tell with dealing with this TA. She may have made a mistake, but there were many emails that went back and forth with the number 12 mentioned, and never 16. We have each one in the group send the main C-W office a complaint letter. Will let all know what comes out of all of this.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 03:05 AM

First, I want to say that I have never used Carlson Wagonlit on any trip. I believe the company is setup as a franchise company - meaning people buy into the company and can setup their own franchise. So your experiences are probably limited to your franchise while another franchise in the next city may be an excellent, honest franchise.

I met a Carlson Wagonlit franchise owner on a cruise and we had dinner several times. She came across as a very honest and hard working franchise owner and if I didn't have such a great TA with another company - I would definitely consider using this individual.