Search

Grand Caymen and Cozumel excursions?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2004, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Caymen and Cozumel excursions?

Hi,

We will be going to Grand Caymen, Playa de Carmen and Cozumel the first of May on Carnival. We are trying to figure out what are the best excursions. We would like to go horseback riding, snorkeling and swim with the dolphins.

Does anyone have suggestions on which excursions we should look at? We want to get our best 'bang' for the buck.

Thanks for any and all help! It's wonderful to have a board like this to get advice from!
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 10:17 AM

"most bang for the buck" will likely be going independent. In Cozumet there is a dolphin swim and encounter at Chankanaab, after just walk to the "beach" are, rent snorkle equipt for about $5. Admission to the park is now $12/pp and a $10++ cab each way. If you don't go with a dolphin tour, consider the good free snorkle site Dzul Ha. Pick up cabs from the ship dock for either. In Cayman- are you in port until at least 4pm? If so consider a Sting Ray city sandbar tour independent- they add extra snorkling vs ship tours. I go with Cpt . Marvin the most on their 1/2 day tour. This is a tender port. I am always ready to go and in line an hour before posted. I have always been able to be on the first tender out. As time goes on so do the lines and waits.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 09:43 PM

I replied to your Caribbean post. have fun.
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 03:20 AM

An interesting tour on the Caymens is a tour of the Turtle Farm plus a general tour of the island even to "Hell"-that is a small place that has an interesting natural formation. Companies will be waiting for you after you get off the tener.
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 04:08 AM

I would also consider Tulim from Playa de Carmen. Chankanaab is also fun (didn't do the dolphin swim) from Cozumel.

I did the highlight tour in Grand Caymens including the turtle farm and hell. This ranks as one of the worst tours I have been on. I would go snorkeling with the stingrays in the Caymens.
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 08:21 PM

For clairfication- the turtle farm in Cayman is based on consumption. I've seen freaked out people who were shocked at the snack bar offering turtle burgers and soup. It's only a small percentage of turtles that are "released".
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 04:46 AM

My husband and I went on the horseback riding tour in Cozumel. It was awful!!! They took you to the middle of nowhere and showed you Mayan "ruins" - basically it looked like they tried to build something to show the tourist. Then the tour guide expected a tip from everyone. It was a waste of time and money.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for everyone's suggestions - sounds like the Stingray interaction is a must! : )

I'm still thinking about the other activities, but sounds like horseback riding is out.

Can't wait to go and thanks again!