Panama Canal/excursion help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2008, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just booked a cruise that only goes part way in the canal. It goesto Gatun Lake and then you can get off and take an excursion that will land you back at Colon. Of course the costs are high. My question is ...Can you get off and do something independently and end up in Colon to get back on. Taxi's? Buses? Visitor center etc.Does anyone have a website or contact that could help? thanks
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 03:22 AM

Ask this question on cruisecritic.com. You can ask on their "ask a cruise question' board and it can also be asked on the ship's board there and their ports board.
At just about all the ports you can get the same tours offered by the ship for a lot less$$$. Why do you want to go to Colon? Colon is not on Lake Gatun is it?
Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

bonniejns,thaks for replying. From what I see of my cruise, the ships arrives at Gatun Lake in the morning and is only there an hour (9-10) and then is at Colon aat 3pm. So I susrmise from their excursions that are 6-8 hours that some people will be getting off at Gatun Lake and then ending up in Colon. That's why I was asking about Colon? I guess I need to call the cruise line and get myself straight. But thanks for the cruise critic site. J
Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 04:53 PM

We did the partian PC cruise on the Coral Princess last January. The ship let people off in Gatum Lake, they then went on a bus tour, I think, to Panama City and back to Cristobal. The ship left Gatum Lake and went to Cristobal where tour excursions met up with the ship. People said that it was a very long hot day. We had already done a full PC cruise so were in interested in this excursion. I may be wrong about where they went, but they just said it was long and hot.
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 06:46 AM

heyjude - if you are sailing Princess, you absolutely cannot get off in Gatun Lake UNLESS you are on a ship-sponsored excursion.

Not sure about other lines.

And then when you dock in Colon (if you stay on the ship), there is a big open-air marketplace where you can buy handmade crafts etc. but otherwise there is noplace to go/no time to get there.
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your post. I guess I need to take the HAL excursion or stay on the ship.
Is there anyone out there that has done an excursion from Gatun Lake and really enjoyed it? Thanks