GCT Danube "bus cruise"

Search

GCT Danube "bus cruise"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GCT Danube "bus cruise"

My wife and I bought the cruise from Budapest to Constanta via the Iron Gates and the Black Sea. We had to take a "bus cruise" because the river was too high for sailing. No options. And thus the bad:

1. We travelled via four buses. We were never able to talk with other passengers owing to the long rides of up to 12 hours.

2. We had to pack and unpack DAILY.

3. Travel on the bus was no cruise. The comfort of the bus is not close to a cruise. We stopped to let people have lunch and to go to "rest rooms" a la Eastern Europe. The ladies, mainly, had to wait for long times in line to get into the dirty "rest room" at most stops.

4. We did not get to see three prime places, The Black Sea, Iron Gates and Constanta. A throw in to Sophia was nice.

5. Easy discussions with passengers were impossible on the buses. The roads of East Europe get very boring. Legs get stiff.

6. The hotels our "cruise directors" arranged were OK (but see "pack/unpack&quot and the meals in the hotels were no match for the ambiance of a cruise.

7. Our inability to return to our rooms at sea was a major factor. Note "rest rooms" above and the desire to read, walk around, discuss, and see the rushed or not available promised sites was strong.

8. Our use of available time was POOR.

9. Border crossings were terrible. They were often late at night. We were tired. The rest rooms were dirty. There was some giving of bribes to let us go. The view was not up to a cruise!!

10. Our lunches were erratic, mostly bad, always crowded, and the food was dull and lacking variety. We learned more about the daily diet in EE than we were interested in.

11. The value for this bus trip was LOUSY!

We had two nights on the ship before we knew we were going by bus. GCT sent in a manager to explain our options. He should have stayed home...he was a disaster.

When we got home we expected something to make up for the problems. What a fool I was! There was nothing beyond a $75/each check for fuel and something else. That was and is an insult. The Chairman and his Lady brag about what they do for the places where they send us. And they do. But we wanted something for us as recompense for the truly terrible "bus cruise". I suggested either a discount pass for any of several cruises, the ability to get un-sold passage at deep discount prices, or maybe $1000/each.

Fat chance! Now we are even unable to contact the manager and her sub-manager of Quality Management (!). The big cheese has spoken and the words are: Go to the devil! Personnel at GCT phone lines always try to get us in touch with the Presidents of River Cruises. Strangely, they never succeed. This is truly a Wizard of Oz shop and it has fooled a lot of people.

Old Jul 16th, 2006, 09:49 PM
cindiloowho

We were on the same cruise, (or maybe the one just following) and are at the present time, in contest with GCT to see what they are willing to do for us. Got the same run around. Actually, we all called ahead, expecting that there may be a problem, as we all knew that there was flooding, but they answered us all , 'no, it is fine,' no reports of problems, but when we got to Bucherest, we found out that there was going to be a bus trip (on a day to day ininery), long days, terrible toilets, when you could find one, lousy food, no exercise, and toilet on bus was non functional. Pretty hard for the folks that had diareha due to the food. We were not refunded one penny so far, for the port charges, fuel surcharges, etc. GCT is a bad company to deal with. Best bet is to get in touch with the credit card company, dispute the charges that you think were unfair, and see how it is resolved. If enough of us do this, we stand a better chance.

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

We must have been on the return trip from Budapest. These people are truly frauds. They do not use their own employees! Their legal bases are in Europe. They will not respond. They will not commit. They are truly despicable. But they do get awards for giving our money to the poor folk in Eastern Europe (and Thailand and Mexico's Copper Canyon).

And HIMSELF and HIS LADY are cute.

bah.

genec
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 10:39 AM

Genec: What was the date of your cruise?
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 12:02 PM

Genec:
I would be very upset if I booked a cruise and ended up on a bus tour!

For one thing, my clothes for a cruise would be totally different than for a motorcoach.

I am tired of bus tours for many of the reasons you stated. That is why I like the ease of cruising.

Thanks for the "heads up" on the GCT problems!
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 12:59 PM

Check out cindyloowho's other posts and the responses thereto on the Europe forum. You can access them by clicking on her name.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 01:21 PM

I am so sorry to read about your very bad cruise experience with GCT. We have been on 3 river cruises without a glitch and was taken very good care of by GCT. We were on the Eastern Europe cruise 2 years ago and it was great. They do warn you of "mother nature" and the reality of sometimes high or low water on the rivers. I incidently just booked a river cruise with GCT in France for 2007. The tour leaders have always taking care of problems while we were traveling. So sorry for your bad experience. A fan of Grand Circle Travel and Overseas Adventure Travel
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 03:17 PM

We took a similar tour with Vantage River Cruises 3 years ago and the same thing happened regarding a bus trip rather than cruising. With one big difference, we were given a $500 credit on another booking. We went to see the tulips the next year and all was perfect. We heard all sorts unfavorable comments regarding other cruise companies.
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 12:36 PM
cindiloowho

While no one is responsible for the weather, and 'deviations' are sometimes to be expected, it seems only fair, and good business to warn travelers ahead of time, when the company knows that it is a distinct possibility, and to give folks options, i.e. to reschedule, cancel, etc., or a voucher for another trip. To just keep repeating, 'no problem' when there is an obvious one, and to not make at least a minimal effort to alert the people, some of whom may be totally unsuited for a lengthy, primitive bus trip, that there are probably going to be severe changes ahead...Also, if a probable deviation is announced, the company should refund charges made (port fees, fuel surcharges, ) levied on the cruise. And, last, they should provide (as they state in their brochures) something of equal value. It is not fair to take money for an expected cruise, then deliver a mediocre bus trip, and keep the difference. The public needs to be made aware of this, and other similar practices.

Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 02:12 PM

How about all the monies the cruise companies had to spend on buses and hotel rooms to try and make a trip. GCT did the best they could under the circumstances and they can't satisfy everyone. Although you and Genec who hasn't posted in years are the only ones complaining.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 05:01 AM
Suerich68

Is there a disclaimer in the contract warning you of the possibility of a "bus cruise" rather than a sea cruise?

I can't imagine that they would not cover themselves this way.

Old Jul 26th, 2006, 06:43 AM
cindiloowho

Michaelip: You seem very defensive of cruise companies, (ON SEVERAL BOARDS) and I wonder why. Facts are, GCT (and others, apparently) 'did not do the best they could under the circumstances' and that is not my complaint. Try to understand that it was not the 'inclement weather and floods' that upset the folks on several tours this spring in Eastern Europe but the way it was mishandled, and the company disguised the facts, gave folks who called fraudlent answers and 'the run around', and delivered absolutely no customer service afterward, other that very tardy identical form letters to all of us,not answering phone calls, ...no offer of a voucher, a refund for port fees, surcharges, etc. The fact that several tours ahead of us got the same lame response. The tour we were given, in no way, equalled what we were promised. Also, many posters, here and elsewhere, mention the 'bait and switch' routines, "sorry, it was a mistake in the brochure...price is really lots higher!". The Better Business Bureau, believe me, knew what they were doing. Are you so defensive of these people for a reason? like are you a shill?

Old Jul 26th, 2006, 07:53 AM

Cindiloowho: No I am not a shill. Have never been on a river cruise. First one will be this November. It is just that I am a seasoned traveler and know that problems happen. Yours was a horrible experience, but you have now complained about everything. Food, Buses, Hotels , Bathroom Facilities etc.You mentioned you appealed to your credit card company.
How much money did you get credited back to your credit card? It is just your manner of telling your story that irks most of us on the boards.
Michael
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 10:38 AM
cindiloowho

Mike: Complaints are justified as follows on our 'bus cruise'
Food: Had glass in it once.
Toilets: non existent, except
dirty crowded holes
Buses: Toilets were not
useable (we were told)
Hotels: Often not central to
any city and our
group was often
split up
No, I don't complain about everything, but a $10,000 cruise shouldn't equal a very poor bus ride. Pleasea read my replys more carefully.
Complaint: Nothing as advertised

Old Jul 26th, 2006, 11:21 AM

Cindiloowho: Your reply is exactly what I am talking about. You keep saying the same thing over and over again. We know you had a bad time. You didn't answer the question I asked about the credit card company.
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 12:02 PM

BOO HOO!!!
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 07:49 PM
samting

Hey, I have heard so many people on this forum state that they have had bad luck with this company...is it because they don't handle customer service well? Maybe their philosophy is that since their client base is mostly old people, and they won't be around long enough to do much complaining, they don't much care....lots of old people coming up behind them? Is that a cynical thought?

Old Aug 9th, 2006, 04:20 AM

Samting: You finally hit it on the nail. Old people are complainers, that why so many trivial complaints.
Mike
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 05:11 AM
Suerich68

"Old people are complainers." What does that mean? Have you taken a poll on the ages of the respondents? Please share.

I would be pretty upset too if I had spent $10,000 on a cruise that was beset with problems.

Maybe yours will be better, Mike. Who knows? We'll be awaiting your trip report.

Old Aug 9th, 2006, 05:27 AM

Suerich68: I haven't taken a poll, but GCT is geared to the older traveller. I was saying that a lot of the complaints were trivial, not all of them. I wouldn't want a bus tour, but GCT and ALL the other River Cruise companies were forced to when the Rivers were flooded this past Spring.
Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -