French Polynesian cruise

Search

French Polynesian cruise

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2004, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
French Polynesian cruise

My husband and I are considering going to the French Polynesian area for our 25th wedding anniversary this spring. We have never taken a cruise, so we are looking for information and advice on that idea. Or whether to do a cruise/resort combination. We were thinking of about a 10 day trip. We are coming from upstate NY, so are also wondering how travel time will cut into the 10 days. Thank you very much for any information/ideas anyone can offer.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 08:22 AM

Assuming you'll be flying into Papeete from LAX, it's about an 8 hour flight. In addition, you'll have to factor in the flight time getting to/from LAX and possibly having to overnight either going or return depending on the flight schedule. We sailed with the now defunct Renaissance line on a 10 day cruise and loved it. Princess has purchased the former Ren ship and is now operating a 10 day cruise but with a different itinerary. They incorporate more sea days with either stops at Rarotonga or the Marquesas rather than just staying in the Society Islands which can be a plus for some. Paul Gauguin does a 7 day itinerary around the Society Islands and seems to be very favorably reviewed. If it were my anniversary, I'd go on the Paul Gauguin and spend the other 3 nights at a resort.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 01:33 PM

We did the Windstar....couple of times, it was fantastic, all outside cabins, upscale and a great value. I highly recommend it, also did the Radisson Paul Gogauin.....that was wonderful too. Both ships are highly rated and provide water sports....etc. As you can see I love the area. Don't do the tours, rent a car/scooter and do your own thing, the islands are small and you will have more fun (in my opinion) and see more of the islands. Both ships are great for special affairs like your anniversary......I would do the ship then spend a couple of days on one of the islands in a over water bungalow to really get the flavour of the area. Enjoy. Its about 10 hours from LA.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 04:46 PM

Remember Tahiti Cruises are in DEC/JAN- their weather is the exact opposite of ours...
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Are you saying April would not be a good time for this cruise....weather wise?
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 05:20 PM

Hi shellyl55:
Don't worry about traveling to French Polynesia in April. I don't know where Andy is from, but the weather is not the opposite. Maybe she is thinking since it is south of the equator that the SEASONS are opposite ours????
I was there for two cruises in June and July (technically their winter) and it was very warm---90's at times.
I would imagine the weather is fine there for tourism any month.
If I were you, I'd stay on one of the islands pre-cruise (rest up from that long plane trip). Then take your 7 day cruise--rested and ready to enjoy all of the activities.
Any way you do it, it will be great!
Enjoy your cruise!!
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 06:17 PM

Cruiser-

A friend just went to Tahiti in Nov...very warm weather...and the WINDSTAR does Tahiti in JAN..that is where I got my info...

Had no idea they did cruise in April..My humble apologies..
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 07:36 AM

Congrats on the 25th! we just had ours BTW. I would look into the weather issue carefully before booking. The seasons are opposite ours (So. hemisphere) so it would be their fall which COULD be ok. I know someone who went there in their summer and he said it was very hot, humid and rainy. We were in Fiji during their winter (July) and it could not have been better. I was just looking at Costco and they have a 10 day Tahiti cruise offered by Princess with an OV stateroom and 6 port stops for @1180.00 PP if you are interested. Bon voyage!
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 08:46 AM

The seasons are "opposite" in that Dec-Mar is their summer. However, temperature wise we're only talking about a 10 degree year round difference. Their summer season does get more rain and higher humidity. We went in April and it was beautiful. We had two days of showers (out of 10) but I think that can happen any time of year in a tropical climate.