Search

Free Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2003, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Free Upgrades

Just curious about what everyone's experiences have been with free upgrades. I know that NCL was giving away a 4 category upgrade during the "sale of sails". I'm talking about the upgrade received when you book a category guarantee, how many categories up have you gotten for free. Inside to outside, outside to balcony, balcony to suite, etc.
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 11:17 AM

NCL Sky (1/2001) - booked Guaranteed - 1 category upgrade<BR><BR>Sea Princess (3/2002) - Guaranteed - no upgrade
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 09:30 AM

Hi Peter: Doubt you'll get many responses to your question because its been asked and answered many times here. In the text box above type in the word upgrades, in the next box click on general interest and then click the find button. When I did I got 23 answers to the same type of question. Hope it helps.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 08:11 AM

At the risk of repeating answers that have been given elsewhere. In my experience with NCL (and other cruise lines) when you book a guarantee you generally get within 1 or 2 categories of the minimum cabin you booked. Often you get a cabin at the minimum level. Yes, there are reports of people who've booked the lowest level guarantee and who have found themselves with an outside balcony but those are few and far between.<BR><BR>My advice to you and anyone else who is considering a guarantee is to compare the price of the guarantee to the price of that actual cabins that can be booked. If there isn't much difference book the specific cabin you want. Part 2 of this advice is to look at the absolute worst cabin you could get by booking a guarantee and ask yourself the question &quot;Can I live with this?&quot;. If your answer is NO, maybe you shouldn't book a guarantee.<BR><BR>Not trying to scare you away, just trying to help you understand the risk involved. I book a guarantee about 50% of the time. Often the price is significantly lower and I'm pretty easy going about where my cabin is.
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 05:48 AM
sweetsue

If you want an upgrade, go to guest relations when you get on the ship. Ask for the cost to upgrade. It is not free, but well worth the extra money. Also, much cheaper than booking in advance, but you are taking a chance of nothing being available. We upgraded on celebrity to a suite on a 14 day cruise for $600 each. It was well worth the cost.