formal night dress code - how strict?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Four of us (two couples) are taking our first cruise to Alaska this summer on Holland America's Westerdam. We're hearing conflicting stories about how strictly they enforce the formal night's dress code (tux or dark suit for men, cocktail dress or evening gown for women per our reservation agent). This requirement would send us shopping for things we might not wear again (sad but true).
How strict are they in the dining room and would we miss out on something special if we just opted out of the formal night?
Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 04:17 PM

This is copied from their website:
"On festive formal evenings, women usually wear cocktail dresses or gowns and men usually wear business suits or tuxedos. There are approximately two formal nights per week. (Gentlemen: Although business suits or tuxedos are suggested attire for formal evenings, they are certainly not required. You are welcome to wear a jacket and tie on formal nights.) Formalwear for ladies and gentlemen can be pre-ordered for your use for the duration of your cruise. Just call Cruise Line Formalwear at 800-551-5091 to reserve and it will be ready in your stateroom when you board."

Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 05:23 PM

I just got off the Noordam. Men were either in tuxes or suits/sport coats and ties. Women were mostly dressed in cocktail dresses and/or gowns, some in dressy dresses or dressy pants suits. One woman was dressed in her Sunday best and seemed to be at ease with her choice. I have to say, however, it's fun to dress up. Watch for the sales! (LOL)
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 05:03 AM
Suerich68

I was on the same cruise as Kaleighsgram; and also last summer we cruised on HAL's Zuiderdam.

I didn't see them refuse entry to the dining room to anyone who was not dressed appropriately. You might feel uncomfortable, however.

Yes, you will miss Lobster night (if you care about that) on one of the formal nights.

Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 05:54 AM

You don't have to eat in the dining room any night if that is your preference. The Lido has very good food.

As for never wearing the clothes again - Won't you go on another cruise ? A man's suit can be worn at funerals and weddings, etc. A ladies cocktail dress can be worn to an evening wedding. They don't have to be expensive - JC Penney has a good selection on sale pretty often.

Have fun.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 07:19 AM

I recall kfusto, a TA who has cruised scores of times, noted she saw men turned away from the main dining room on semi-formal nights who were not wearing jackets. on one of her HAL cruises. I think HAL and Celebrity are more strict in this area. Just get a navy blue or other dark colored blazer, pants to match and a tie and you're good to go. They can be had inexpensively. IMHO just dress up for one night. Cheers and enjoy Alaska. BTW do invest in a good pair of binoculars if you don't have some. Cheers, Larry
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 09:11 AM

All this depends on how well stuck it is in your head. What if you are not sparkling when 2 other ladies are? Will you feel like a Cinderella? Then you have to spend on gown. But if you are relaxing and enjoying yourself and not looking around much - nice skirt and blouse will do.
It is sure funny to see all ladies in glitter waiting in line to be seated when frankly dressed like that they were suppose to be coming out of the limo. Enjoy!
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 10:14 AM

Another thing to keep in mind, you can order the lobster sent to your room. On lobster night, I believe it wasn't available in the Lido. We did, however, enjoy it on our balcony and we dressed anyway we wanted!!!
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 12:20 PM

We were on the Zaandam with HAL to Alaska and whilst there were some ladies dressed to the nines, there were plenty who were appropriately dressed but less formal. Little black dresses, or soft evening pants and sparkly tops were all over the place and dark suits the norm for the men. As one who doesn't "dress up" that often, I enjoyed it very much, but I already had the outfits.
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 05:25 AM

I think it depends a lot on the cruise lines along with location. We have never been to Alaska. We always have cruised the Caribbean. We have seen some who were not dressed at all, one man had a dressy black coat, teamed up with Jeans. I think it is very relaxed, but a nice black dress for yourself or dressy pant outfit, with any sparkling top will do fine. They are not expensive at all to find. A tux would be considered very dressy for a man a sport coat would be fine with dress slacks. Trust me you will see all kinds of different things on the cruise as far as dress attire is concerned.
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 02:58 AM

My husband & I were on HAL's Rotterdam in May. Most men wore a dark suit on formal nights. Some wore tuxes and a few did not wear a jacket or tie and were not excluded from the dining room. Most women wore a dressy outfit, but not necessarily a cocktail dress or gown. In our case, my husband wore a dark suit. I wore a black skirt and lacy blouse.
Old May 11th, 2010, 09:35 PM

Smart casual is the type attire that you would expect to see if you went to a business office like a bank. For men trousers, not necessarily black or blue, a shirt with a collar, preferable not a pullover, and regular shoes, not sneakers or sandals. For women a dress or skirt and blouse and shoes other than flip-flops and sandals, but not necessarily heels.

http://www.nexteve.com/catalog/homecoming-dresses
Old May 12th, 2010, 06:56 AM

Actually this thread was begun June/2006.
Old May 12th, 2010, 08:53 AM

Actually it's a first-time poster promoting her website.

Hi, Larry
Old May 16th, 2010, 05:12 AM
cd

Advertising
Old May 16th, 2010, 06:50 AM

Aha. Editors please.
Old May 19th, 2010, 10:29 PM

Larry, is there a list on how to make the icons somewhere?. Tehre is one that I wanted to make but don't remember how to do it.
Old May 20th, 2010, 05:30 AM
ira

Hi J,

You might want to take your question to the HAL board at www.cruisecritic.com.

Old May 20th, 2010, 02:09 PM

Sorry Eschew. I don't have that. If I find it I'll post it.
Old May 20th, 2010, 03:46 PM
cd

Eschew
http://www.fodors.com/community/smileys/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -