Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page > First timer question: Tipping on Windstar cruises?
Notices

First timer question: Tipping on Windstar cruises?

Aug 26th, 2002, 11:18 PM
Alexandra

First timer question: Tipping on Windstar cruises?

Hello all,

I'll be on the WindSurf in September, and I have a couple of questions for all of you cruise connosieurs.
This is my first Windstar cruise (I have only cruised once before in Royal Caribbean - grandeur of the seas, 2 years ago).

What does Windstar mean by "Tipping not required"?

If there is tipping on Windstar:
WHO and HOW much should we tip them?

We'll be on 2 back to back itineraries.

Does that make a difference on the tipping?
Should we tip them at the end of both weeks? or at the end of each week?

Thank you very much for your help.

Alexandra

Aug 26th, 2002, 11:46 PM
Paul Therault

Hi Alexandra,

This "tipping not required" bit has been a matter of contention for a couple of years.

HAL should listen to its passengers ... it doesn't make sense.

HAL states that if the service is extraordinary you should consider throwing the staff extra.

When I cruise HAL, I do not have the gall to ask the crew how much the line is paying them in wages. I do the following: Since the industry standard for a 7 night cruise is $24.50 for the cabin steward, the same for the waiter and $14 for the bus-boy per person, I break it in half. I can not see paying the full amount as some say.

This is really craziness and puts passengers on the spot.

As far as back-to-back sailings I do not know the procedure. Best to ask those in the purser's office when you arrive on-board.

Paul

Aug 27th, 2002, 04:38 PM
DJ

Have been on 2 Windstar cruises and both times have given tips to our steward and dining room attendants only because we were very pleased with the service and not because we were under some sort of obligation to tip. As far as amounts are concerned, whatever you feel is appropriate for the service received.

Aug 27th, 2002, 07:57 PM
Andy

Hi -=We went on the Windsurf last year and we tipped the cabin steward and the waiter and the bus boy--

I just felt funny NOT giving them anything--I know the wages are low-I would use Paul's guideline-

And as far as a back to back cruise--SPLIT your total amount in 1/2 and give 1/2 at the end of the first cruise and the rest at the end of the last cruise- these people could use the money and they have different days off each week in different ports--This is just my suggestion--

You are going to LOVE the Windsurf- It is awesome!!

Aug 27th, 2002, 10:37 PM
Paul Therault

Hi Alexandra,

I sailed the Wind Spirit about 10 years ago and although I liked the yacht-like ambiance I was extremely impressed with the Wind Surf. I sailed her when she was a Club Med ship and I was pleased that Windstar purchased it. It has more suite choices, more room to move about and at full sail it is just out of this world.

Take me with you.

Paul

Aug 30th, 2002, 06:54 PM
Alexandra

Hello All,

Thank you for your responses!

I am quite excited... the day approaches... I can hardly wait!
Only 14 more days until we get to Lisbon, and then on to the WindSurf!

Alex

Search this Thread